1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Chemistry - Alcohol Synthesis Problem

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    I have attached a file of the alcohol I need to synthesize and my futile attempt... I was thinking of using a hydration reaction to make the alcohol from the alkyne group. So basically I would mix the alkyne group with H2O and some how produce the alcohol group.

Am I heading in the right direction?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2013 #2
    It's been a while since I've done Ochem, but here's my suggestion. Hydrate the alkyne, substitute a hydroxyl group with a halide using an equimolar amount of a selective halide salt, like PBr3. The resulting aklene will be on the 1,2 position, and a antimarkovnikov addition of an alcohol should add an alcohol onto the 1 position, creating your desired substance.

By the way, you drew the alkyne incorrectly. It's always drawn in a straight line due to sp hybridization.

EDIT: Actually, what I said was wrong. I was thinking about it on the way to class, removal of the halide will result in the 2,3 alkene, the hydrogen on carbon 2 (the one with the hydroxyl group) will be removed. I'll think about this more.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  4. Dec 6, 2013 #3
    Hi!

STEP 1: convert the alkyne to an alkene using Na/liq.NH3 .
    STEP 2: Use NBS(N-Bromosuccinimide) to get allyl bromide(CH3CH=CHCH2Br) which when reacted with aq.NaOH gives alcohol(CH3CH=CHCH2OH).
    STEP 3: Acidic hydrolysis of this alcohol gives the required product.

Vineeth.

5. Dec 7, 2013 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

You're looking to form 1, 3 - butanediol I believe. I'm pretty sure you can mix an alkene with water to get an alcohol.

My organic chem is a bit rusty, but I believe (1 - hydroxy - 2 - butene) + H - OH should give you what you're looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted