Project "Verne's Island" (idea, like biosphere....but not)

In summary, Dave has a new idea for an experiment in which a team of people are able to build a small town and 'invent' electricity and communicate electronically. He thinks this would be a good way to study space travel in a different, complementary way to the biosphere projects.
dkotschessaa
This is an experiment/project idea inspired by Jules Verne's "The Mysterious Island" and also the "Biosphere" experiments. I thought it'd be a cool discussion prompt.

In the book, a bunch of men are shipwrecked (well, baloon-wrecked) on an Island. One thing I love about the book, unrealistic as it probably is (the sci-fi of it's day) the men, who include an engineer, don't just start fires and weave baskets, but actually go through the process of creating pottery, and actually mining and creating metallic objects from raw material.

Now, how realistic is this? Probably not very, but just for fun.

What if we ran this as an experiment - a bit like a variation on the "biosphere" projects. Instead of a sphere, however, we take a team of people, put them in a strategic location, and set if they can go from zero to some milestone - say building a small town and 'inventing' electricity and perhaps being able to communicate electronically (telegram?).

We know we CAN do all these things, but when's the last time we did it without an already supportive infrastructure?

What would be the best location? What kind of people would you put there? What would be a cool or interesting goal to set? (Doesn't actually have to be an island, but the people should be isolated).

I think it'd be informative for space travel in a way different, but complimentary to the biosphere projects. Crazy? Or has something like this already been done? I know we've got lots of TV people that we send into the woods to eat squirrels and drink their own pee, but I'm thinking a little grander.

-Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
Makes me think about a video I watched a few days ago.

(edit: forgot to write that he has more videos about doing more complicated things)

Likes dkotschessaa
Borek said:
Makes me think about a video I watched a few days ago.

I love this kind of 'automation.'

Watch other videos, he makes many other things as well. While this is not yet a technology that will produce nitric acid, he is on his way to something :wink:

1. What is the purpose of "Project Verne's Island"?

The purpose of "Project Verne's Island" is to create a self-sustainable ecosystem that mimics the conditions of a natural island. This project aims to study how different organisms interact with each other and their environment in a closed system.

2. How is "Project Verne's Island" different from other biosphere projects?

Unlike other biosphere projects, "Project Verne's Island" is not intended to house humans. It is solely focused on studying the interactions between various organisms and their environment. Additionally, the island will be situated in a controlled environment, rather than in a natural setting.

3. How will the ecosystem on "Project Verne's Island" be sustained?

The ecosystem on "Project Verne's Island" will be sustained through a combination of natural processes and human intervention. The island will be equipped with technologies such as solar panels and water filtration systems to provide energy and clean water to the organisms living on the island. Additionally, scientists will monitor and maintain the balance of the ecosystem by introducing and removing certain species as needed.

4. What type of organisms will be present on "Project Verne's Island"?

The island will host a diverse range of organisms, including plants, insects, small mammals, and marine life. These organisms will be carefully selected to create a balanced ecosystem that can sustain itself without the need for external inputs. Some species may also be introduced for scientific research purposes.

5. What are the potential benefits of "Project Verne's Island"?

"Project Verne's Island" has the potential to provide valuable insights into how closed ecosystems function and evolve over time. The knowledge gained from this project can have applications in fields such as ecology, conservation, and space exploration. Additionally, this project could also help us better understand the effects of human activities on natural ecosystems and how to mitigate them.