Projectile Motion - A ball launched from a cliff

In summary, a ball is launched from a 35.0m high cliff with an initial velocity of 47.0m/s at an angle of 39.0 degrees above the horizontal. On its way down, it just clears a 2m high wall. By using the equation Delta D=Vx*T + 1/2*a*t^2, the time was calculated to be 0.813985s. Plugging this into D=Vx*T, the distance from the wall was found to be 24.07m. However, upon double checking the calculations, it was found that the signs for acceleration due to gravity and displacement should have been negative, resulting in a final answer of 256m.
samantha.

Homework Statement

A ball is launched from a 35.0m high cliff with an initial velocity of 47.0m/s at an angle of 39.0 degrees above the horizontal. On the way down it just clears a 2m high wall.
A) How far away is the wall?

Homework Equations

Delta D=Vx*T + 1/2*a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the Verticle velocity to be 36.53m/s and the horizontal velocity to be 29.58m/s. Using the Velocity in the in the y direction, and the acceleration due to gravity, I used this equation to calculate time;

Df-Di=Vy*t + 1/2a*t^2
4.905m/s^2*T^2+36.53m/s*t-33.0m

Then used the quadratic equation to get 0.813985s

I plugged this into D=Vx*T and got 24.07m

I figured I mixed up my signs somewhere along the long so I re did it and got 8.26s and then got 244.4m.

The correct answer is 256m.. I'm really close but I don't know why I'm 12 off.. I checked everything over.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
samantha. said:

Homework Statement

A ball is launched from a 35.0m high cliff with an initial velocity of 47.0m/s at an angle of 39.0 degrees above the horizontal. On the way down it just clears a 2m high wall.
A) How far away is the wall?

Homework Equations

Delta D=Vx*T + 1/2*a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the Verticle velocity to be 36.53m/s and the horizontal velocity to be 29.58m/s. Using the Velocity in the in the y direction, and the acceleration due to gravity, I used this equation to calculate time;

Df-Di=Vy*t + 1/2a*t^2
4.905m/s^2*T^2+36.53m/s*t-33.0m

Then used the quadratic equation to get 0.813985s

I plugged this into D=Vx*T and got 24.07m

I figured I mixed up my signs somewhere along the long so I re did it and got 8.26s and then got 244.4m.

The correct answer is 256m.. I'm really close but I don't know why I'm 12 off.. I checked everything over.

Thanks!

4.905*T^2+36.53*t-33.0m

In this line - I so prefer it without the units in the middle - you have 4.9 positive, and 36.53 positive

One of those is acceleration due to gravity - down, the other is the initial velocity - up, so one of them should be negative. be careful with your sign on the displacement. it is down, but on the other side of the equation?

also given the supplied formula

Delta D=Vx*T + 1/2*a*t^2

why wasn't your first substitution

33 = -36.53*t + 4.905*t2

followed by a re-arrangement and solution.

Okay I re did it and fixed the signs

4.906*t^2-36.53*t+33=0

After doing the quadratic equation, I ended up with the same answer that I did my second attempt :/

1. How does the height of the cliff affect the trajectory of the ball?

The height of the cliff will affect the initial velocity of the ball, which in turn will affect the trajectory. A higher cliff will result in a greater initial velocity and therefore a longer horizontal distance traveled by the ball.

2. How does the angle of launch affect the trajectory of the ball?

The angle of launch will determine the initial vertical and horizontal components of the ball's velocity. A smaller angle will result in a higher initial vertical velocity and a shorter horizontal distance traveled. A larger angle will result in a lower initial vertical velocity and a longer horizontal distance traveled.

3. How does air resistance affect the motion of the ball?

Air resistance will affect the speed and trajectory of the ball. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences air resistance which opposes its motion and causes it to slow down. This will result in a shorter horizontal distance traveled and a lower final velocity.

4. How does the mass of the ball affect its motion?

The mass of the ball will affect its motion by influencing its acceleration. A heavier ball will have more inertia and therefore require more force to launch it from the cliff. This will result in a lower initial velocity and a shorter horizontal distance traveled compared to a lighter ball.

5. How does the force applied to the ball affect its trajectory?

The force applied to the ball, or the initial launch velocity, will determine the speed and direction of the ball's motion. A greater force will result in a higher initial velocity and a longer horizontal distance traveled. However, if the force is not applied at the correct angle, it can also affect the trajectory of the ball and cause it to deviate from its intended path.