1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion, finding minimum speed

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A gazelle leaps over a 2.1m fence. Assuming a 45° takeoff angle, what is the minimum speed?

2. Relevant equations
    1. x=v0x * t
    2. y = v0y * t - 1/2gt2
    3. vy = v0y - gt
    4. vy2 = v0y2 - 2gΔy

3. The attempt at a solution
    I assumed at the top of the leap, vy=0 m/s, so I used equation 4 to find the initial y velocity (0m/s = v2 - 2(9.8m/s2)(2.1m) which gave me vy = 6.416 m/s)

I put the final y velocity into equation 3 to find t=0.6547 s.

Then I used 2.1m/tan 45° to find the x distance (2.1 m) and used that distance plus the time I found and plugged them into equation 1 to get the initial x velocity of 3.208 m/s.

Finally, I used the Pythagorean equation to find the actual initial velocity... The actual answer is 9.073 m/s, but I can't seem to work the problem out to that. I have a lot of problems with finding the initial minimum speed/velocity when given the final distances (even though I can find the range and maximum height when given the initial velocity) so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2
    assumed at the top of the leap, vy=0 m/s, so I used equation 4 to find the initial y velocity (0m/s = v2 - 2(9.8m/s2)(2.1m) which gave me vy = 6.416 m/s)
    --------------------------
    You got the vertical component.
    The velocity is the sum of 2 components of x and y.
    Use Pythagoras' Theorem to solve for v.

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3
    Right I got that it was the y velocity, and I tried to find the x component and do the Pythagorean equation... but I'm seeing now that the easiest thing to do is to use the y velocity/sin 45 to get the right answer.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook