Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Projectile motion from an angled slope

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rock is thrown from the top of a slope that makes an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. At what angle to the horizontal should the rock be thrown to get a maximum range? (Hint: pick the direction of the slope as a new x axis and the normal to the slope as the new y axis. There will be acceleration in both axes.)

2. Relevant equations

y=y_o+v_y_o*-.5*g*t^2
    v_y=v_y_o+a_y*t

x=x_o+v_x_o+.5a*t^2
    v_x=v_x_o

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew a diagram of what is happening:

2wddod1.jpg

I need to solve for theta.

I don't think it will be 45 degrees to the horizontal, as you start on a slant. Even if i did think it was, i dont know where to plug 45 into.

Can anyone guide me on the right path? Offer any more hints?

Thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You'll have to write the equations of motion for the projectile in the given coordinate system and find an expression for the range (the x coordinate when the y coordinate reaches zero --- the projectile lands). The trick will be in maximizing this expression with respect to the launch angle. I think it would be easier to first solve for the angle with respect to the x-axis. It can always be adjusted to the horizontal reference afterwards.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook