1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion from an angled slope

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rock is thrown from the top of a slope that makes an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. At what angle to the horizontal should the rock be thrown to get a maximum range? (Hint: pick the direction of the slope as a new x axis and the normal to the slope as the new y axis. There will be acceleration in both axes.)

2. Relevant equations

y=y_o+v_y_o*-.5*g*t^2
    v_y=v_y_o+a_y*t

x=x_o+v_x_o+.5a*t^2
    v_x=v_x_o

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew a diagram of what is happening:

2wddod1.jpg

I need to solve for theta.

I don't think it will be 45 degrees to the horizontal, as you start on a slant. Even if i did think it was, i dont know where to plug 45 into.

Can anyone guide me on the right path? Offer any more hints?

Thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You'll have to write the equations of motion for the projectile in the given coordinate system and find an expression for the range (the x coordinate when the y coordinate reaches zero --- the projectile lands). The trick will be in maximizing this expression with respect to the launch angle. I think it would be easier to first solve for the angle with respect to the x-axis. It can always be adjusted to the horizontal reference afterwards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook