1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Horizontal Displacement Equation

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A fire hose held near the ground shoots water at a speed of 7.5 m/s. At what angle(s) should the nozzle point in order that the water would land 3.0 m away?

The attempt at a solution

I remember from engineering there was a single equation you could use to find the horizontal displacement of an object given its initial velocity and projected velocity. I tried deriving it and came up with this:

x = (2(vi)2sin2[theta])/19.6

Could somebody please confirm this?

It also asks: Why are there two different angles? I know how to describe this logically, but my teacher usually prefers a more mathematical answer. Would I just say that there are two values for theta that yield the same sine value?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ArbazAlam! :smile:

(have a theta: θ)

Yes, that's right. :smile:

(though why didn't you just say x = (vi)2sin2θ/9.8 ? :wink:)

Yup … that would do … you could even say how the two values are related! :wink:

4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    Thank you! I didn't even notice those units canceled out. And thank you for the theta.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?