Projectile Motion- Horizontal Range and Time of Flight

In summary, a rifle is used to fire two bullets at angles of 60° and 45° above the horizontal with a speed of 200ms^1. For each bullet, the horizontal range and time of flight can be calculated using the equations v^2sin2ө/ g and 2vsinө/g. The horizontal range for the first shot is 3531m with a time of flight of 35.3 seconds, and the horizontal range for the second shot is 4077m with a time of flight of 28.8 seconds. The initial velocity, v, is equal to 200 m/s.
leah3000

Homework Statement

A rifle is used to fire two bullets. The first shot is at an angle of 60° above the horizontal and the second at an angle of 45° above the horizontal. The speed of EACH bullet as it leaves the rifle is 200ms^1. For EACH bullet calculate the horizontal range and the corresponding time of flight.

Homework Equations

Horizontal Range: v^2sin2ө/ g

Time of Flight= 2vsinө/g

The Attempt at a Solution

Horizontal Range for 1st shot= (200^2)sin2(60)/9.81

=3531m

Time of Flight= 2(200)sin(60)/9.81

=35.3 secs

Horizontal Range for 2nd shot= (200^2)sin2(45)/9.81

=4077m

Time of Flight= 2(200)sin(45)/9.81

= 28.8 secs

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use the 200 as v or if I'm to calculate v somehow from the given information.:confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have used the equations correctly. I guess you are just not sure how the equations work? Maybe reading the proofs of these equations would help.

ok...i just keep thinking that since it left the rifle at 200ms^1that that would be the initial velocity, u. I wasn't too sure if I could use it in the equation as v. I thought that i some how had to calculate it but then there would be more than one unknowns when using the equatios of motion:redface:

ok...i just keep thinking that since it left the rifle at 200ms^1that that would be the initial velocity, u. I wasn't too sure if I could use it in the equation as v. I thought that i some how had to calculate it but then there would be more than one unknowns when using the equations of motion:redface:

v represents initial velocity, so it should be 200 m/s.

ok thank you

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object in a curved path due to the combined effect of its initial horizontal velocity and the downward force of gravity.

What is the horizontal range of a projectile?

The horizontal range of a projectile is the maximum horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground or other surface. It is affected by the initial velocity, angle of projection, and acceleration due to gravity.

How is the horizontal range of a projectile calculated?

The horizontal range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (V^2 * sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the time of flight for a projectile?

The time of flight for a projectile is the total time it takes for the object to travel from its initial position to the point where it hits the ground. It is also affected by the initial velocity, angle of projection, and acceleration due to gravity.

How is the time of flight for a projectile calculated?

The time of flight for a projectile can be calculated using the formula T = 2V*sin(θ)/g, where T is the time of flight, V is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.