Projectile Motion Long Jump Question

In summary, projectile motion is the curved path an object follows under the influence of gravity. In long jump, the athlete's trajectory follows this same path, allowing them to achieve maximum distance. Factors that affect projectile motion in a long jump include initial velocity, takeoff angle, and air resistance. To optimize projectile motion, the athlete must have a strong takeoff and minimize air resistance. Understanding projectile motion in a long jump has real-world applications in other sports and engineering.
cvc121

Homework Statement

Ms. Bongiorno is competing in the Olympics in the long jump. She jumps 7.59m horizontally and is in the air for 0.72s.
a) With what speed did she jump?
b) At what angle did she jump?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution is shown below. Can anyone verify my work and see if I am on the right track? Thanks. All help is very much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20151114_141406[1].jpg
    20151114_141406[1].jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 673
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answers.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

How does projectile motion relate to long jump?

In long jump, the athlete is essentially a projectile as they move through the air. Their trajectory follows the laws of projectile motion, allowing them to achieve maximum distance.

What factors affect projectile motion in a long jump?

The factors that affect projectile motion in a long jump include the initial velocity of the athlete, the angle of their takeoff, and air resistance. Other factors such as wind and air density can also play a role.

How can projectile motion be optimized in a long jump?

To optimize projectile motion in a long jump, the athlete must have a strong and efficient takeoff, with a high initial velocity and a proper angle. They must also minimize air resistance by using techniques such as streamlining their body position.

What are some real-world applications of understanding projectile motion in a long jump?

Understanding projectile motion in a long jump can be applied in other sports such as javelin throwing and discus throwing. It is also important in fields such as engineering, where the principles of projectile motion are used in designing projectiles and calculating trajectories.