Projectile Motion Maybe Parametric equations?

In summary, projectile motion is the curved path that an object follows when launched into the air and affected by gravity. Parametric equations are a way to represent this motion using two or more equations that describe the object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time. These equations are used to break down the motion of a projectile into its horizontal and vertical components. The key variables in projectile motion are initial velocity, initial height, launch angle, and acceleration due to gravity, which determine the path and distance traveled by the projectile. Real-world applications of projectile motion and parametric equations can be found in sports, engineering, and physics, such as calculating the trajectory of a baseball or designing flight paths for missiles and rockets.
Lebelee
Hey I have a problem with question 4 of this problem set

http://www.physics.ubc.ca/~mattison/Courses/Phys170/p170-ps5.pdf Number 4.

I have found Vmin to be 0.84m/s which i know it is correct, but i cannot solve Vmax?

i thoguht you could maybe approach this question with 2 parametric equations? can anyone show me some hints toward this question?

Greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You find Vmax EXACTLY the same way you find Vmin. Break the motion into xy components and use kinematics. How did you find Vmin?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a way to represent the motion of an object using two or more equations that describe the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object as functions of time.

3. How are parametric equations used in projectile motion?

Parametric equations are used to describe the motion of a projectile by breaking it down into the horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal motion is described by a linear equation, while the vertical motion is described by a quadratic equation.

4. What are the key variables in projectile motion?

The key variables in projectile motion are initial velocity, initial height, launch angle, and acceleration due to gravity. These variables determine the path and distance traveled by the projectile.

5. What are some real-world applications of projectile motion and parametric equations?

Projectile motion and parametric equations are used in various fields such as sports, engineering, and physics. For example, in sports like baseball, the trajectory of a thrown ball can be calculated using these principles. In engineering, these equations are used to design and test the flight paths of missiles and rockets. In physics, they are used to study the motion of objects in free fall or on an inclined plane.