1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion from a height with Air Resistance

1. Sep 25, 2012 #1
    Hey all, me again. This time my question has to do with projectile motion with air resistance from a given height.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cannon is located on a cliff of height h. If the muzzle velocity of a projectile is v0, find the range of the projectile when the drag is proportional to the velocity.

2. Relevant equations
    ma=-mg-kvy. Vertical motion
    ma=-kvx. Horizontal motion
    mg=kvt. Terminal velocity

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first attempted to find t via the horizontal motion formula, but my answer doesn't take into account the height difference. Then I tried integrating the vertical motion equation and got an answer of
    t=-vt/g * ln((vt+vy)/(vt+voy)) where voy is the initial vertical velocity. I then made vy=dy/dt and tried to find t from there but I have no idea how to do the integration.

Am I even on the right path? I'm hoping if I can find the time t given y I can plug that into xcosθ*t to give me the range.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

ƩFx = md2x/dt2 → first 2nd-order linear diff. eq. in x
    ƩFy = md2y/dt2 → second linear diff. eq. in y

You know the initial conditions (4 of them for the two equations) & they're linear constant-coefficient, so solution is straight-forward.

(I would use Laplace transform but that's 'cause I'm an EE. EE's can't so much as tie their shoelaces
    without transforming to Laplace! :smile:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook