Projectile motion of ball and table

In summary: Use your third equation to find the time. Then use this time to find the horizontal distance traveled by the ball.In summary, to find the distance a ball will land when launched horizontally from a 0.77 m tall table at a speed of 2.24 m/s, you can use the equation v=vo+at and v2=vo2+2ax to solve for the horizontal distance traveled by the ball. Remember that the given velocity is for the horizontal velocity and the initial vertical velocity is zero. Use the equation x=vot+1/2at2 to find the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground, then use this time to find the horizontal distance traveled.
sweedeljoseph

Homework Statement

If you launch a ball horizontally, moving at a speed of 2.24 m/s from a table that is 0.77 m tall, how far out from the base of the table will the launched ball land?

Answers:
a) 0.001m b) 0.9m c) 3.17m d) 8.5m

Homework Equations

v=vo+at
v2=vo2+2ax
x=vot+1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

i COMPLETELY forgot how to do projectile thing. like i remember some of it but not fully. i know you do the table for x and y then solve for like v, vo, a, t, d all that good stuff. but i don't know if the speed that was given is for the x or y. I am thinking the y. because if it was for x it would be the same for v and vo. someone please help i have finals on monday and tuesday!

thank you so much!
sweedeljoseph

Physics news on Phys.org
When the ball leaves the table it has two velocities. One horizontal and other vertical. The horizontal velocity remains constant, because there is no acceleration in that direction. The vertical velocity changes, the acceleration due to gravity acts on it. Using your third equation, find the time it takes to reach the ground. Using this time, find the horizontal distance traveled by the ball.

i understand that. but is the speed given in the equation used as the horizontal velocity or the vertical velocity. that's where I am getting stumped. i know if its horizontal it is the same for velocity and initial velocity.

In the problem, given velovity is horizontal velocity. Initially vertical velocity is zero. The vertical distance traveled by the ball is 0.77 m.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air, typically in a curved path, under the influence of gravity.

2. How does the height of the table affect the trajectory of the ball?

The height of the table can affect the trajectory of the ball by changing the initial vertical velocity of the ball. The higher the table, the greater the initial vertical velocity, resulting in a higher peak height and longer flight time.

3. What factors affect the range of the ball when launched from the table?

The range of the ball is affected by the initial launch angle, initial velocity, and the height of the table. Other factors such as air resistance and the surface of the table can also have an impact on the range.

4. Why does the ball follow a parabolic path when launched from the table?

The ball follows a parabolic path due to the combination of its horizontal velocity remaining constant and its vertical velocity changing due to the influence of gravity. This results in a curved trajectory.

5. How can we calculate the maximum height and range of the ball when launched from the table?

The maximum height and range of the ball can be calculated using the equations for projectile motion, taking into account the initial launch angle, initial velocity, and height of the table. These equations are often taught in introductory physics courses.