Projectile motion problem (find angle theta)

In summary: Excellent job solving the problem. In summary, the projectile was launched with an initial velocity of 105.88 m/s at an angle of 41 degrees above the horizontal.
5ymmetrica1

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched from the ground with an initial velocity of 140m/s at an angle of θ above the horizontal. (assume AR is negligible and the ground is level)
The time of flight is 18.7seconds and its range is 1.98*10^3
show that the launch angle θ is approximately 41 degrees

Homework Equations

I'm unsure which equation I am supposed to use for a problem like this

The Attempt at a Solution

voh = 140cosθ

∴ cosθ = voh/140

but I am not given enough information to find the initial horizontal velocity so this equation won't work. I also am sure that I have to use the time of flight and the range since its been given but I can't think how to rearrange things to make it work.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for what I'm supposed to be doing please?

Physics news on Phys.org
5ymmetrica1 said:

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched from the ground with an initial velocity of 140m/s at an angle of θ above the horizontal. (assume AR is negligible and the ground is level)
The time of flight is 18.7seconds and its range is 1.98*10^3
show that the launch angle θ is approximately 41 degrees

Homework Equations

I'm unsure which equation I am supposed to use for a problem like this

The Attempt at a Solution

voh = 140cosθ

∴ cosθ = voh/140

but I am not given enough information to find the initial horizontal velocity so this equation won't work. I also am sure that I have to use the time of flight and the range since its been given but I can't think how to rearrange things to make it work.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for what I'm supposed to be doing please?

What must voh be if the projectile flew for 1.98e3 m and took 18.7sec. to do so?

thanks for the reply rudeman!

So voh = 1.8e3m/ 18.7s = 105.88 m/s

then θ = cos-1 (105.88/140)

∴ θ = 40.86 degrees ≈ 41 degrees

5ymmetrica1 said:
thanks for the reply rudeman!

So voh = 1.8e3m/ 18.7s = 105.88 m/s

then θ = cos-1 (105.88/140)

∴ θ = 40.86 degrees ≈ 41 degrees

Yay team!

As a scientist, your first step would be to identify the known values and the unknown value in the problem. In this case, the known values are the initial velocity (140 m/s), the time of flight (18.7 seconds), and the range (1.98*10^3). The unknown value is the launch angle (θ).

To solve for θ, you can use the equation for range in projectile motion, which is R = (v0^2 * sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

In this equation, you know the values for R, v0, and g, so you can rearrange the equation to solve for sin2θ. Once you have that value, you can take the inverse sine (sin^-1) to find the launch angle θ.

Another approach is to use the equation for time of flight, which is t = (2v0 * sinθ)/g. In this case, you know the values for t, v0, and g, so you can rearrange the equation to solve for sinθ. Again, once you have that value, you can take the inverse sine to find θ.

Both of these approaches should give you an approximate value for θ of around 41 degrees, as stated in the problem. It's important to note that this is an approximation because we are assuming that air resistance is negligible and the ground is level, which may not be entirely accurate in the real world. However, for the purposes of this problem, it is a reasonable assumption to make.

In summary, to solve this projectile motion problem and find the launch angle θ, you can use either the equation for range or the equation for time of flight, rearrange the equation to solve for sinθ, and then take the inverse sine to find θ. This will give you an approximate value of 41 degrees for θ.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity. This type of motion is commonly seen in everyday life, such as when throwing a ball or shooting a cannon.

2. How do you find the angle theta in a projectile motion problem?

To find the angle theta in a projectile motion problem, you can use the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can be used to calculate the angle based on the known initial velocity, launch angle, and height of the object.

3. What is the formula for calculating the maximum height in a projectile motion problem?

The formula for calculating the maximum height in a projectile motion problem is h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

4. How do you find the range of a projectile in a projectile motion problem?

To find the range of a projectile, you can use the formula R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the initial height is the same as the final height.

5. Can you solve a projectile motion problem without knowing the initial velocity?

Yes, it is possible to solve a projectile motion problem without knowing the initial velocity. In this case, you would need to know the range, maximum height, or time of flight of the object. You can use these known values to solve for the initial velocity using the appropriate formula.