1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion stone problem

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a stone is projected at a cliff of height h with an initial speed of 46.0 m/s directed at an angle θ0 = 65.0° above the horizontal. The stone strikes at A, 5.47 s after launching. Find (a) the height h of the cliff, (b) the speed of the stone just before impact at A, and (c) the maximum height H reached above the ground.

2. Relevant equations

v0x= vcostheta
    v0y= vsintheta

vfy= v0y-gt

3. The attempt at a solution

first, i broke the vector up into components
    v0x= 19.44
    v0y= 41.69

vfy= v0y-gt

y= -1/2gt^2 +v0yt + y0

then i tried to find b) the speed of the stone

i did vfy= v0y-gt
    and got -11.92
    that was wrong

i'm pretty lost when it comes to the other stuff.. please help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2
    The speed of the stone consists of both the vertical and horizontal components. After finding vfy, you have to perform a vector addition with vfx.
    As with regards to the height of the cliff, just use a kinematics equation involving time, initial velocity, acceleration and displacement.
    The maximum height of the stone occurs when the stone has instantaneous velocity of zero - can you see why this must be the case?

4. Sep 18, 2009 #3
    how is v0x calculated?

yes, i understand that the velocity at max height is 0 because it's the peak and the direction of the acceleration is changing

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We're given the initial velocity's magnitude and angle. From that you can use trig to get the x and y components, i.e. v0x and v0y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook