Boulder rolling off of cliff: will it hit the village?

• Thread starter Entr0py
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rolling
In summary: Now to find how fast the boulder is going when it hits the ground I would use vf^2=v0^2 + 2a(x-x0). Which would mean that vf^2=50^2 - (19.6*-400) or vf=-101.7 m/s?Yes. In summary, a boulder resting on a cliff 400 m above a village will roll off with a speed of 50 m/s at an angle of 30 degrees below the horizontal. A physics student correctly predicts that the boulder will land in a pond 200 m away from the cliff. When considering the boulder's velocity components and its fall time, it is determined that the student is correct. Finally, the
Entr0py

Homework Statement

A large boulder rests on a cliff 400 m above a small village in such a position that if it should roll off, it would leave with a speed of 50 m/s at an angle of 30 degrees below the horizontal. There is a pond with a diameter of 200 m, with its edge 100 m from the base of the cliff. The village houses are at the edge of the pond. A physics student says that the boulder will land in the pond. Is he right?

Homework Equations

y= y0 + v0yt + 1/2gt^2

x=R=v0xt

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I need to find the vector components of the velocity. Since theta is -30 degrees and the magnitude of the velocity is 50 m/s, I find that v0x=50cos(30) which is 43.3 m/s and v0y=-50sin(30) which is -25 m/s.

Next I want to find out how long it would take the boulder to fall a vertical distance of 400 m (in this case, -400 m since i chose my y-axis to be positive in upwards direction). I use the equation y= y0 + v0yt + 1/2gt^2. I take y0 to be 0 m and y to be -400. Using the quadratic formula, I find that t=6.84 s.

Then I want to find the range or the horizontal distance the boulder travels, which I find using the equation x=v0xt. Since v0x=43.3 m/s and t=6.84 s, I plug those into get x=296 m.

I say that the physics student is right, that the boulder will land in the pond.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you get a launch angle of 30 degrees?

From my texbook. The author puts in the diagram that the angle below the horizontal is 30 degrees.

Would that mean that v0y=-(50sin(30) or -25 m/s?

Entr0py said:
Would that mean that v0y=-(50sin(30) or -25 m/s?
Yes. I was just about to point that out.

Then if I plug that in the quadratic formula, t=6.84 s. Now if I plug that into eqn. to find range I get 296.2 m. After all the physics student was right and the boulder WOULD NOT hit the village.

Entr0py said:
Then if I plug that in the quadratic formula, t=6.84 s. Now if I plug that into eqn. to find range I get 296.2 m. After all the physics student was right and the boulder WOULD NOT hit the village.
Looks right to me.

Yes! I was looking at this question last night, thinking "I can't wait to solve this!" Next time, I'll be sure to look at the launch angle very carefully. Thanks for the response.

Entr0py said:

Homework Statement

A large boulder rests on a cliff 400 m above a small village in such a position that if it should roll off, it would leave with a speed of 50 m/s. There is a pond with a diameter of 200 m, with its edge 100 m from the base of the cliff. The village houses are at the edge of the pond. A physics student says that the boulder will land in the pond. Is he right?

Homework Equations

y= y0 + v0yt + 1/2gt^2

x=R=v0xt

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I need to find the vector components of the velocity. Since theta is 30 degrees and the magnitude of the velocity is 50 m/s, I find that v0x=50cos(30) which is 43.3 m/s and v0y=50sin(30) which is 25 m/s.

Next I want to find out how long it would take the boulder to fall a vertical distance of 400 m (in this case, -400 m since i chose my y-axis to be positive in upwards direction). I use the equation y= y0 + v0yt + 1/2gt^2. I take y0 to be 0 m and y to be -400. Using the quadratic formula, I find that t=11.9 seconds.

Then I want to find the range or the horizontal distance the boulder travels, which I find using the equation x=v0xt. Since v0x=43.3 m/s and t=11.9 s, I plug those into get x=515.3 m.

I say that the physics student is wrong, that the boulder won't land in the pond 300 m away from the mountain, but will instead hit the village houses.
EDIT: the physics student is right.

Entr0py said:
Yes! I was looking at this question last night, thinking "I can't wait to solve this!" Next time, I'll be sure to look at the launch angle very carefully. Thanks for the response.
... and perhaps mention it in the first post? :-)

Yes, I will. I just looked at the diagram and said "Look at that 30 degrees!" but didn't notice that it was BELOW the horizontal until I rechecked.

Entr0py said:
Yes, I will. I just looked at the diagram and said "Look at that 30 degrees!" but didn't notice that it was BELOW the horizontal until I rechecked.
Had it been above the horizontal it no doubt would have stayed safely in place on the cliff.

haruspex said:
Had it been above the horizontal it no doubt would have stayed safely in place on the cliff.
That didn't even cross my mind. I need a common sense pill.

Now to find how fast the boulder is going when it hits the ground I would use vf^2=v0^2 + 2a(x-x0). Which would mean that vf^2=50^2 - (19.6*-400) or vf=-101.7 m/s?

Also, wouldn't its horizontal component of velocity just before it hits be found by v(x)= v0x +a(x)t? But since there is no horizontal acceleration, then it would be v(x)=v0x, since gravity does not act horizontally on the boulder, which would make v(x)=50cos(-30) or 43.3 m/s.

Entr0py said:
Now to find how fast the boulder is going when it hits the ground I would use vf^2=v0^2 + 2a(x-x0). Which would mean that vf^2=50^2 - (19.6*-400) or vf=-101.7 m/s?
Yes.
Entr0py said:
Also, wouldn't its horizontal component of velocity just before it hits be found by v(x)= v0x +a(x)t? But since there is no horizontal acceleration, then it would be v(x)=v0x, since gravity does not act horizontally on the boulder, which would make v(x)=50cos(-30) or 43.3 m/s.
Yes.

Gracias

1. What factors determine whether the boulder will hit the village?

The trajectory of the boulder, its size and weight, the angle of the cliff, and the presence of any obstacles in its path all play a role in determining whether the boulder will hit the village.

2. How can we predict the path of the boulder?

The path of the boulder can be predicted using mathematical equations that take into account its initial velocity, the force of gravity, and the angle of the cliff.

3. Is there a way to prevent the boulder from hitting the village?

In some cases, barriers or structures can be built to redirect the boulder's path away from the village. However, this may not be possible depending on the terrain and resources available.

4. What are the potential consequences if the boulder does hit the village?

The consequences of the boulder hitting the village could range from property damage to loss of life. It is important to take precautions and evacuate the area if necessary.

5. How common are boulder roll-off incidents and what can be done to reduce their likelihood?

Boulder roll-offs are relatively rare, but they can occur in areas with steep cliffs and loose rock formations. To reduce the likelihood of these incidents, measures such as regular maintenance and reinforcement of cliffs, and monitoring of potential hazards can be taken.