1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile (Which Statements are true?)

1. Mar 2, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone, , I just want to make sure if I have done the statements right. Thank you. :) Capture.JPG

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

At point A is the ball being affected by gravity?

Why do you think from A to B takes less time than from B to C or vice versa?

4. Mar 2, 2015 #3
    I've counted that one of your checks is correct so far, and that you are missing two others, for a total of three checked boxes. Other members, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

So here are some questions to help you think about the problem:

1. If the ball at A is not accelerating, when does the acceleration begin? What causes the acceleration, and why would it not be constant?
    2. While at the peak of a parabolic arc the ball may have a y velocity of 0, does it have no x velocity? If it were to have a velocity in the x direction, would this be greater than, less than, or equal to the initial velocity of the ball at A?
    3. Why would the ball travel faster on one part of the arc than another, provided both are equal and symmetrical?

5. Mar 2, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I concur.
    Smart-Bunny, it isn't entirely clear from the diagram, but I would treat the trajectory shown as being merely part of a longer one. So, apart form being equidistant from B, there's nothing special about the points A and C.

6. Mar 2, 2015 #5
    Thanks guys!! At point A the ball accelerating downwards 10 m/s2, At point B the ball accelerating downwards 10 m/s2 and at point B the speed is non-zero but less than 20 m/s :)

7. Mar 3, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

All true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted