• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Projecting push forward of a vector

Homework Statement

Say we have two manifolds N(dim d) and M(dim d-1). Let Φ: M →N be a diffeomorphism where Σ = Φ[M] is hypersurface in N. Let n be unit normal field (say timelike) on Σ and ⊥ projector (in N) defined by:
[tex]⊥^a_b = \delta^a_b + n^a n_b[/tex]

Where acting on (s, 0) tensor projection operator is: [itex]⊥T^{a_1 a_2 ... a_r}=⊥^{a_1} _{b_1}...⊥^{a_s} _{b_s}T^{b_1 ... b_s}[/itex]

How to show that for a vector V at p on M, the pushforward of V satisfies: [tex]Φ_*(V)=⊥(Φ_*V)[/tex] (I can do that)

And then generalize to (s, 0) tensor: [tex]Φ_*(T)=⊥(Φ_*T)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
In component form we would get: [itex] (⊥(Φ_*V))^a = ⊥^a_b (Φ_*V)^b=(\delta^a_b + n^a n_b)(Φ_*V)^b=(Φ_*V)^a + n^an_b(Φ_*V)^b[/itex]. So remains to show that the last bit vanishes. The last term vanishes since [itex]a_b[/itex] is normal to [itex](Φ_*V)^b[/itex], so we're done.

Now to generalize for (s, 0) we have:

[tex](⊥(Φ_*T))^{a_1 a_2 ... a_s} = ^{a_1} _{b_1}...⊥^{a_s} _{b_s}(Φ_*T)^{b_1 ... b_s} = (\delta^{a_1}_{b1} + n^{a_1} n_{b_1}) ... (\delta^{a_s}_{b_s} + n^{a_s} n_{b_s})(Φ_*T)^{b_1 ... b_s}[/tex]

My problem is that I'm not quite sure what does it mean to act [itex]n_{b_s} (Φ_*T)^{b_1 ... b_s}[/itex], notion of orthogonality is easily understood for two vectors, but for vector and a tensor I'm not sure. Any ideas much appreciated!

Answers and Replies

strangerep
Science Advisor
Would it help to think of the tensor in terms of (a sum of) tensor products of basis vectors?