Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projections from Tubular Neighborhoods

1. Aug 24, 2012 #1
    Hello! Could anybody give me some hint with the following problem? Consider a smooth, compact embedded submanifold [itex]M = M^m\subset \mathbb{R}^n[/itex], and consider a tubular neighborhood [itex]U = E(V)\supset M[/itex], where [itex]E: (x, v) \in NM \mapsto x + v \in M[/itex] is a diffeomorphism from a open subset of the normal bundle [itex]NM[/itex] of the form [itex]V = \left\{(x, v) \in NM \: : \: \left| v \right| < \delta\right\}[/itex]. We know that [itex]r:=\pi \circ E^{-1}[/itex] is a smooth retraction, where [itex]\pi:(x, v) \in NM \mapsto x \in M[/itex] is the projection. How can I prove that if [itex]y \in U[/itex], where [itex]U[/itex] is a sufficiently small tubular neighborhood, then [itex]r(y)[/itex] realizes the minimum of the distance from the points of [itex]M[/itex]? I just proved, following Lee's hints, that if [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] has a closest point [itex]x \in M[/itex], then [itex]y - x \in N_x M[/itex], but I can't realize how to use this information!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2012 #2
    Maybe, I've solved: let [itex]y = x + v[/itex], for some [itex](x, v) \in V[/itex], and consider any other point [itex]p \in M[/itex], together with a curve [itex]\gamma: (-\epsilon, \epsilon) \to M[/itex] such that [itex]\gamma(0) = x, \dot{\gamma}(0) = v[/itex] joining [itex]x, p[/itex]. Without loss of generality, [itex]y = 0[/itex]. If [itex]f(t):=\frac{1}{2}\left|\gamma(t)\right|^2[/itex], then
    [tex]\dot{f}(0) = \left<\gamma(0), \dot{\gamma}(0)\right> = \left<x, v\right> = 0[/tex]
    since [itex]y - r(y) = x + v - x = v \in N_x M[/itex]. Since [itex]f[/itex] is convex, [itex]0[/itex] is a minimum, hence the thesis for the arbitrariness of the curve [itex]\gamma[/itex]. Am I wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook