1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof by contrapositive; if (m^2+n^2) div by 4, then m,n are even numbers

1. Sep 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let m and n be two integers. Prove that if m^2 + n^2 is divisible by 4, then both m and n are even numbers

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Proof by Contrapositive. Assume m, n are odd numbers, showing that m^2 + n^2 is not divisible by 4.

let:
    m= 2a + 1 (a,b are integers)
    n=2b+1

m^2+n^2 = (2a+1)^2 + (2b+1)^2 = 4a^2 +4a + 1 + 4b^2 + 4b +1

let: 4(a^2 + a + b^2 + b) = 4q (q an integer)

m^2 + n^2 = 4q + 2

with 4q + 2 not divisible by 4 since 4 divides 4q + 2 with a remainder of 2.
    ==> if m and n are odd numbers, m^2 + n^2 is not divisible 4, which by contrapositive reasoning proves that if m^2 + n^2 is divisible by 4, then m and n are odd numbers.

----------------------------------

I finished my proof there, but had a note underneath that said that it was incomplete, since I was missing "other cases". Does this mean I have to also show that m and n cant be of opposite parity either? I've been under the impression that the negation of "m and n are even numbers" was "m and n are odd numbers". Is this logic wrong?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2012 #2
    Thenegation of "both m and n are even" is "at least 1 of m or n is odd".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook