Proof Check (irrational number)

In summary, the first student is trying to show that 12 is irrational, however this is disproved when it is shown that 12 divides b^2. The second student is trying to show that |x + y|^2 + |x - y|^2 = 2|x|^2 + 2|y|^2, however they are incorrect because |x + y|^2 + |x - y|^2 = 2x|^2 + 2y|^2 not |x + y|^2 + |x - y|^2 = 2|x|^2 + 2y|^2.
rad0786
Hi, can somebody please check my proof(s). I am pretty sure they are right...but i just feel they are too elelmentary.

1) Prove that 12 is irrational

-Let x be a rational number
-Therefore, x = {a/b: m in Z and n in N} n not 0.
-m and n have to be in the LOWEST FORMS...therefore, m and n cannot be divided any further and have no divisors

let x^2 =12
then (a/b)^2 = 12
then a^2/b^2=12
then (12)(b^2) = a^2
Contradiction since b^12 is divisiable by 12, hence b is divisable by 12

2. Prove that |x + y|^2 + |x - y|^2 = 2|x|^2 + 2|y|^2

|x + y|^2 + |x - y|^2
=(x+y)(x+y) + (x-y)(x-y)
=xx + 2xy + yy + xx -2xy + yy
=2xx +2yy
=2|x|^2 + 2|y|^2

Are the above correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. you mean sqrt(12), and no, because b^12 is divislbe by 12 does not mean b is divisible by 12, though you mean a^2, not b^12 anyway, and from where you've got the only thing you can say is that 12 divides a^2. Note 12 divides 6^2 in case you still don't believe me on the first one.

Clearly you only need to show that sqrt(3) is irrational anyway.2. Why are there absolute value signs in there? They are not necessary, perhaps you don't mean absolute value of real numbers, but something to do with complex numbers?

oops... I made a typo!

for 1. I actually meant (12)(b^2) is divisiable by 12 hence b is divisable by 12 and so 12 is irrational.

for 2... the question in the book actually asked "Prove that |x + y|^2 + |x - y|^2 = 2|x|^2 + 2|y|^2 with x,y in R^k (R = real numbers). Interpret this geometrically, as a statement about parallelograms."

I have no idea what all that means as I am jumping really far ahead of lectures...so i won't get into all that now.

1.How did you conclude that 12 divides b^2 from the assertion that 12 divides 12b^2? b=1 as a counter example for instance?

2. You can't just multiply vectors. You have to use dot products. The proof though, is identical once you state what the terms are (and put the dots in).

matt grime said:
1.How did you conclude that 12 divides b^2 from the assertion that 12 divides 12b^2? b=1 as a counter example for instance?

2. You can't just multiply vectors. You have to use dot products. The proof though, is identical once you state what the terms are (and put the dots in).

1. Ohh! I was confused over this :uhh: but it should be a is divisible by 12.

a^2 = 12b^2 means a is divisible by 12 and not b being divisiable by 12!

2. We didn't get this far in lecture...I was trying to be smart and jumping ahead too far :cool: I will re-read your above posts during the week and then it will make more sense to me

What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means that they cannot be written as a fraction or decimal with a finite number of digits. Examples of irrational numbers include pi, e, and the square root of 2.

Why is it important to check the proof of an irrational number?

Checking the proof of an irrational number is important because it ensures that the number is indeed irrational and not a rational number in disguise. It also helps to verify the accuracy and validity of the proof, which is crucial in mathematics and science.

How do you prove that a number is irrational?

There are several methods for proving that a number is irrational. One common method is the proof by contradiction, where we assume the number is rational and then show that it leads to a contradiction. Another method is using continued fractions, which can help to identify patterns in the number's decimal representation.

Can a number be both rational and irrational?

No, a number cannot be both rational and irrational. A number is either rational or irrational, there is no overlap between the two categories. However, some numbers can be written as a combination of both rational and irrational numbers, such as a sum or product of the two types.

What are some real-world applications of irrational numbers?

Irrational numbers have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used in calculations for measurements of circles and curves, in modeling natural phenomena, and in designing algorithms for computers to solve complex problems.