1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof must be integer or irrational?

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose a, b ε Z. Prove that any solution to the equation x^3 +ax+b = 0 must either be an integer, or else be irrational.

2. Relevant equations

Not sure if this is right but x = m / n where m divides b and n divides 1

3. The attempt at a solution

So far i think i got x = m / n where m divides b and n divides 1 but i don't know where to go from there and i am kind of not sure if that's even right. There's probably some way to factor this right? I am trying to do this by contradiction so i assume that x = a/b where a,b belong to N

One More problem...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that log2n : n ε N consists entirely of integers and irrational numbers. (it's base 2 n not log(2n))

2. Relevant equations

log2n = a / b. Trying to do a proof by contradiction so i started off by assuming log2n = a / b where a,b E N.

3. The attempt at a solution

As i said I'm doing a proof by contradiction. So far i have come up with log2n = a / b. I don't really know where to go from here. Rearranging the equation doesn't really help. Maybe use some laws for logarithms to write them differently? :/

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

IF you allowed to use this, then surely you see that the only integers that divide 1 are 1 and -1! So if x is rational it is either m/1 or m/-1 for some integer m.

4. Sep 23, 2012 #3
    Oh... wow okay so x could = m or -m both of which are integers. That makes sense. I don't understand how to prove that any other solution would be irrational :/

5. Sep 24, 2012 #4
    what you used is called the rational root theorem, giving all possible values of rational roots, so any other roots must be .....

6. Sep 24, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That proves that any rational root must be an integer. Of course, any other roots, that is, any root that is not rational, is irrational, by definition.

But I still wonder if you are allowed to use that. It seems too easy.

7. Sep 24, 2012 #6
    My teacher told us to use that because we haven't really learned a lot yet. Thanks for your help! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook