Proof of average height of half circle

P(x) dx= \frac 1 2\int_{-1}^1 \sqrt{1 - x^2}~dx = \frac \pi 2 \frac 1 2 = \frac \pi 4$$where a = -1 and b = 1. The limits of integration are -1 and 1 because the semicircle has a radius of 1. The function inside the integral is the upper half of the circle of radius 1, centered at the origin. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average height of a half circle
Jurgen M
I need proof how find average height of half circle?

Lets say pressure distribution is half circle with Pmax = radius,I must find average/resultant pressure..

half circle.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what the average value of half a circle means conceptually, can you elaborate? Are you trying to compute an integral or something?

Office_Shredder said:
I have no idea what the average value of half a circle means conceptually, can you elaborate? Are you trying to compute an integral or something?
I edit my post, is now clear?

Jurgen M said:
I edit my post, is now clear?
Slightly clearer, if I understand what you're trying to do. Assume for the moment that ##P(x) = \sqrt{1 - x^2}## gives the pressure. This is the upper half of a circle of radius 1, centered at the origin. The average value will be this:
$$\frac 1 {b - a}\int_a^b P(x) dx= \frac 1 2\int_{-1}^1 \sqrt{1 - x^2}~dx $$
My simple example function is a semicircle of radius 1 that is centered at the origin. You need a formula for your semicircle that you'll plug into the integral I wrote.

Mark44 said:
Slightly clearer, if I understand what you're trying to do. Assume for the moment that ##P(x) = \sqrt{1 - x^2}## gives the pressure. This is the upper half of a circle of radius 1, centered at the origin. The average value will be this:
My simple example function is a semicircle of radius 1 that is centered at the origin. You need a formula for your semicircle that you'll plug into the integral I wrote.
I find average pressure will be area of semi circle divide by diameter . (1/2 x r2 x 3.14) / 2r
But how they find this, is your calculation proof for this?

Mark44 said:
That integral gives the area of the semicircle, which perhaps we already know!

It looks like you’re trying to rectangularize a half circle with one side being the diameter of the circle and the vertical size being the average value of the vertical vectors in your diagram.

Is that right?

if so it doesn’t really need calculus to figure it out. One needs to know only the area of the half circle and its diameter.

Likes DaveC426913 and berkeman
PeroK said:
The factor out front, ##\frac 1 {b - a}##, together with the integral, gives the average value of the function inside the integral.

jedishrfu said:
It looks like you’re trying to rectangularize a half circle with one side being the diameter of the circle and the vertical size being the average value of the vertical vectors in your diagram.

Is that right?

if so it doesn’t really need calculus to figure it out. One needs to know only the area of the half circle and its diameter.
If find from pure logic that if I do this I will find average value...but don't know how to proof this with calculus..

Radius r. Width =##2r##, area=##\frac{\pi r^2}{2}##, average height =##\frac{\pi r}{4}##.

mathman said:
Radius r. Width =##2r##, area=##\frac{\pi r^2}{2}##, average height =##\frac{\pi r}{4}##.
##\frac{\pi r}{4}## is not proof

Here's what you wrote in post #1:
Jurgen M said:
I need proof how find average height of half circle?

Lets say pressure distribution is half circle with Pmax = radius,I must find average/resultant pressure..
It's not clear to me what it is you're trying to do. Are you supposed to
(1) prove/derive the formula for the average value of a function over an interval [a, b]? That formula is ##\bar f = \frac 1 {b - a}\int_a^b f(x)dx##, which is what I wrote earlier.
Or (2), calculate the average pressure of a pressure distribution in the shape of a circle or radius Pmax?
If it's #2, the average pressure is ##\frac{\pi P_{max}}4##.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Here's what you wrote in post #1:

It's not clear to me what it is you're trying to do. Are you supposed to
(1) prove/derive the formula for the average value of a function over an interval [a, b]? That formula is ##\bar f = \frac 1 {b - a}\int_a^b f(x)dx##, which is what I wrote earlier.
Or (2), calculate the average pressure of a pressure distribution in the shape of a circle or radius Pmax?
If it's #2, the average pressure is ##\frac{\pi P_{max}}4##.
Yes prove/derived how we find that average height of semi circle is 3.14x r /4
Can you explain your formula?
What is a to b, -1 to 1 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jurgen M said:
Yes prove/derived how we find that average height of semi circle is 3.14x r /4
Your question is still not clear. Which one of the following two questions are you asking?
  1. Do you want to derive the formula for the average value of an arbitrary function?
  2. Do you want to calculate the average value of the upper half-circle of radius R, whose center is at (0, 0)?
If it's #1, the average value of f, ##\bar f##, on an interval [a, b], is the area between the graph of f and the horizontal axis, divided by the length of the interval. To derive this formula, set up a Riemann sum with area increments and take the limit as the number of subintervals increases to infinity.
If it's #2, just use the formula that I wrote in post #12.
Jurgen M said:
Can you explain your formula?
What is a to b, -1 to 1 ?
Yes, if the radius of the semicircle is 1, and the semicircle is centered at (0, 0).

Mark44 said:
Your question is still not clear. Which one of the following two questions are you asking?
  1. Do you want to derive the formula for the average value of an arbitrary function?
  2. Do you want to calculate the average value of the upper half-circle of radius R, whose center is at (0, 0)?

PeroK said:
So who has right, you or Mark44?

Jurgen M said:
Mark44 said:
If it's #2, just use the formula that I wrote in post #12.
Assuming the semicircle is centered at (0, 0), with a radius of ##P_{max}##, then the average pressure is ##P_{ave} = \frac 1 {2P_{max}}\int_{-P_{max}}^{P_{max}} \sqrt{P_{max}^2 - x^2}~dx##.
[Jurgen M said:
So who has right, you or Mark44?
Both of us are right.
PeroK's comment was about an easy way to calculate the integral above. The integral divided by the length of the interval gives the average value.

Most calculus textbooks have a general formula for the average value of a function on some interval [a, b]; namely, ##\bar f = \frac 1 {b - a}\int_a^b f(x)~dx##. This is what I used in the equation I wrote in the first paragraph.

Likes PeroK
Mark44 said:
Assuming the semicircle is centered at (0, 0), with a radius of ##P_{max}##, then the average pressure is ##P_{ave} = \frac 1 {2P_{max}}\int_{-P_{max}}^{P_{max}} \sqrt{P_{max}^2 - x^2}~dx##.

Both of us are right.
PeroK's comment was about an easy way to calculate the integral above. The integral divided by the length of the interval gives the average value.

Most calculus textbooks have a general formula for the average value of a function on some interval [a, b]; namely, ##\bar f = \frac 1 {b - a}\int_a^b f(x)~dx##. This is what I used in the equation I wrote in the first paragraph.
Thanks for answer.

Likes berkeman
Jurgen M said:
##\frac{\pi r}{4}## is not proof
Why not? Area=height x width.

1. How is the average height of a half circle calculated?

The average height of a half circle is calculated by finding the sum of all the heights of the points on the half circle and dividing it by the total number of points.

2. What is the significance of finding the average height of a half circle?

Finding the average height of a half circle is important because it gives us a measure of the "center" of the half circle, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

3. Can the average height of a half circle be negative?

No, the average height of a half circle cannot be negative. Since height is a measure of distance, it cannot be negative as it represents a physical quantity.

4. How does the average height of a half circle relate to its radius?

The average height of a half circle is directly proportional to its radius. As the radius increases, the average height also increases, and vice versa.

5. Is there a formula for calculating the average height of a half circle?

Yes, the formula for calculating the average height of a half circle is (2/pi) x r, where r is the radius of the half circle.