Proving Combinations Formula | Step-by-Step Guide and Examples

I will write to my professor and point out the error. Anyway, thanks for help. :)In summary, the problem was to prove that the binomial coefficient \binom{n}{m} can be expressed as \binom{n}{m-2} + 2\binom{n-1}{m-1} + \binom{n-2}{m-2}. The solution involves using the identity \binom{n}{k} = \binom{n}{k-1} + \binom{n-1}{k-1} and simplifying the expression using factorials. There may have been a typo in the original problem as it was easier to prove \binom{n}{m} = \bin
Government$

Homework Statement

Prove the following:

[itex]\frac{n!}{m!(n-m)!} = \frac{n!}{(m-2)!(n-m + 2)!} + 2* \frac{(n-1)!}{(m-1)!(n-m)!} + \frac{(n-2)!}{(m-2)!(n-m)!} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing following

[itex]\frac{n!}{m!(n-m)!} = \frac{n!}{m!(n-m)!}(\frac{m(m-1)}{(n-m + 2)(n-m + 1)} + \frac{2m}{n} + \frac{m(m-1)}{n(n-1)} [/itex])

Now i should get [itex]\frac{m(m-1)}{(n-m + 2)(n-m + 1)} + \frac{2m}{n} + \frac{m(m-1)}{n(n-1)} = 1[/itex]
but i don't get 1. Any other ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: m! = m * (m-1) * (m-2)!

I know that, but where to use it?

your m(m-1)/n(n-1) is wrong :redface:

I rechecked it two or three time i really don't see how it is wrong.

Government$ said:

Homework Statement

Prove the following:

[itex]\frac{n!}{m!(n-m)!} = \frac{n!}{(m-2)!(n-m + 2)!} + 2* \frac{(n-1)!}{(m-1)!(n-m)!} + \frac{(n-2)!}{(m-2)!(n-m)!} [/itex]
What is the lowest common denominator for the right-hand side ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing following

[itex]\frac{n!}{m!(n-m)!} = \frac{n!}{m!(n-m)!}(\frac{m(m-1)}{(n-m + 2)(n-m + 1)} + \frac{2m}{n} + \frac{m(m-1)}{n(n-1)} [/itex])

Now i should get [itex]\frac{m(m-1)}{(n-m + 2)(n-m + 1)} + \frac{2m}{n} + \frac{m(m-1)}{n(n-1)} = 1[/itex]
but i don't get 1. Any other ideas?

(m-1)!(n-m+2)!

I don't understad why, since (m-2)! doesn't contain (m-1) nor (n-m)! contains (n-m+2)! or (n-m+1)!

If i want get whole expression under one fraction i should multply first fraction with (m-1)/(m-1) to get n!(m-1)/(m-1)!(n-m+2)! , second fraction with (n-m+2)(n-m+1)/(n-m+2)(n-m+1) to get
(n-1)!(n-m+2)(n-m+1)/(m-1)!(n-m+2)! , and third with (m-1)(n-m+2)(n-m+1)/(m-1)(n-m+2)(n-m+1)
to get (n-2)!(m-1)(n-m+2)(n-m+1)/(m-1)!(n-m+2)!

Government$ said:
I don't understad why, since (m-2)! doesn't contain (m-1) nor (n-m)! contains (n-m+2)! or (n-m+1)!
You were correct. I deleted my post, but you must have seen it before I deleted it.

Government$ said:
If i want get whole expression under one fraction i should multply first fraction with (m-1)/(m-1) to get n!(m-1)/(m-1)!(n-m+2)! , second fraction with (n-m+2)(n-m+1)/(n-m+2)(n-m+1) to get
(n-1)!(n-m+2)(n-m+1)/(m-1)!(n-m+2)! , and third with (m-1)(n-m+2)(n-m+1)/(m-1)(n-m+2)(n-m+1)
to get (n-2)!(m-1)(n-m+2)(n-m+1)/(m-1)!(n-m+2)!
That's virtually unreadable as it is written. Break it up into separate lines & give it some space...

As follows:
If i want get whole expression under one fraction i should multiply:

first fraction with (m-1)/(m-1) to get
n!(m-1)/(m-1)!(n-m+2)! ,​
second fraction with (n-m+2)(n-m+1)/(n-m+2)(n-m+1) to get
(n-1)!(n-m+2)(n-m+1)/(m-1)!(n-m+2)! ,​
and third with (m-1)(n-m+2)(n-m+1)/(m-1)(n-m+2)(n-m+1)
to get
(n-2)!(m-1)(n-m+2)(n-m+1)/(m-1)!(n-m+2)!​

So the numerator is (m-1)n! + 2(n-m+2)(n-m+1)(n-1)! + (m-1)(n-m+2)(n-m+1)(n-2)! .

There's a common factor of (n-2)! , right?

After that i get (n-2)!*(n(n-1)(m-1) + 2(n-m+2)(n-m+1)(n-1) + (m-1)(n-m+2)(n-m+1))/(m-1)!(n-m+2)!

i tried and i can't find any other common factor in numerator and i have common factors between two products such as (n-1) , (m-1), (n-m+2)(n-m+1). Only other way is to multiply everything and then try to factor out something that will cancel m-1 and (n-m+2)(n-m+1) in denominator.

Government$ said:
Have you checked whether it even seems to be true? Try n=m=2.

haruspex said:
Have you checked whether it even seems to be true? Try n=m=2.
I was about to ask a similar question.

This may also be what tiny-tim was suggesting.Is there a typo in your expression?

In terms of binomial coefficients, what the OP states is that you are trying to prove that

[itex]\displaystyle \ \binom{n}{m}=\binom {n} {m-2}+2\binom {n-1} {m-1}+\binom {n-2} {m-2}\ .[/itex]

SammyS said:
I was about to ask a similar question.

This may also be what tiny-tim was suggesting.

Is there a typo in your expression?

In terms of binomial coefficients, what the OP states is that you are trying to prove that

[itex]\displaystyle \ \binom{n}{m}=\binom {n} {m-2}+2\binom {n-1} {m-1}+\binom {n-2} {m-2}\ .[/itex]

That is exactly what i need to prove, i just didn't know how to write it like that using Latex. Here is full text of problem:

Prove that [itex]\displaystyle \ \binom{n}{m}=\binom {n} {m-2}+2\binom {n-1} {m-1}+\binom {n-2} {m-2}\ n\geq2, m \geq2 [/itex]

When i plug in n=m=2 i get [itex]\frac{0}{0} = \frac{2}{0} + \frac{2}{0} + \frac{0}{0}[/itex]

Government$ said:
Prove that [itex]\displaystyle \ \binom{n}{m}=\binom {n} {m-2}+2\binom {n-1} {m-1}+\binom {n-2} {m-2}\ n\geq2, m \geq2 [/itex]

When i plug in n=m=2 i get [itex]\frac{0}{0} = \frac{2}{0} + \frac{2}{0} + \frac{0}{0}[/itex]
No, 0! = 1. [itex]\binom{0}{0} = \binom{2}{0} = 1[/itex]

Yea, i overlooked that. With that in mind.

Let n=m=2

[itex]\frac{2!}{2!(2-2)!} = \frac{2!}{(2-2)!(2-2 + 2)!} + 2* \frac{(2-1)!}{(2-1)!(2-2)!} + \frac{(2-2)!}{(2-2)!(2-2)!} [/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{1(0)!} = \frac{1}{(0)!1} + 2* \frac{1}{1(0)!} + \frac{(0)!}{(0)!(0)!} [/itex]

[itex] 1 = 1 + 2 + 1 [/itex]

[itex] 1 = 4 [/itex]

Government$ said:
That is exactly what i need to prove, i just didn't know how to write it like that using Latex. Here is full text of problem:

Do you suppose the problem should have been to prove

[itex]\displaystyle \ \binom{n}{m}=\binom {n-2} {m-2}+2\binom {n-2} {m-1}+\binom {n-2} {m}\,,\ n\geq2, m \geq2 \ ?[/itex]

Maybe i will try to slove it,

This problem should be difficult according to my textbook, here is a pic from my textbook:

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8316/img00121201304241927.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
SammyS said:
Do you suppose the problem should have been to prove

[itex]\displaystyle \ \binom{n}{m}=\binom {n-2} {m-2}+2\binom {n-2} {m-1}+\binom {n-2} {m}\,,\ n\geq2, m \geq2 \ ?[/itex]

I managed to prove this without much problem.
Probably it is a typo in my textbook.

1. What is the combinations formula and how is it used?

The combinations formula is a mathematical formula used to determine the number of ways to choose a specific number of objects from a larger set, where the order of the chosen objects does not matter. The formula is nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n represents the total number of objects and r represents the number of objects to be chosen.

2. Can you provide an example of how the combinations formula is used?

Sure, let's say you have a bag with 10 different colored marbles and you want to choose 3 marbles without replacement. The number of possible combinations can be calculated using nCr = 10! / 3!(10-3)! = 10! / 3!7! = 120. This means there are 120 different ways to choose 3 marbles from the bag.

3. What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

Combinations and permutations are both ways to calculate the number of possible arrangements, but they differ in terms of order. Combinations do not take into account the order of the chosen objects, while permutations do. In other words, combinations are used when the order does not matter, while permutations are used when the order does matter.

4. How can I prove the combinations formula?

One way to prove the combinations formula is by using mathematical induction. This involves showing that the formula holds true for a specific case, such as n=0 or n=1, and then assuming it is true for n=k and proving it for n=k+1. Another way is by using the principle of counting, where you break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and then combine the results to get the final answer.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the combinations formula?

Yes, the combinations formula has many real-world applications, such as in probability and statistics, genetics, and computer science. It can be used to calculate the chances of winning a lottery, the number of possible genetic combinations in offspring, and the number of password combinations in a computer system, among others.