Proof of dimension of the tangent space

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
hideelo
Messages
88
Reaction score
15
I am attaching a picture of a proof from the book "general relativity" by wald. This is supposed to show that the tangent space of an n dimensional manifold is also n dimensional. I have two questions.

In equation 2.2.3 couldn't the function be anything at a since the (x-a) term is 0?

How is the equality in equation 2.2.5 justified, I'm just not seeing it
 
Attachments
  • 1432214740404.jpg
    1432214740404.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 637
Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to write them out on my phone, so I'll try another picture
 
Attachments
  • 1432215051307.jpg
    1432215051307.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 606
  • 1432215072484.jpg
    1432215072484.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 639
No, it has to be exacly as written. Otherwise 2.2.2. will not be true.
 
I'm assuming 2.2.2 follows from the gradient theorem, in which case 2.2.3 should really be an integral, otherwise it's not an equality but the linear approximation.
 
A proof very similar to Wald's is included in Isham. Start reading on page 79. The proof is on pages 82-84.

Last time I discussed this proof with someone, I posted my version of it. It's in post #14 here.
 
hideelo said:
In equation 2.2.3 couldn't the function be anything at a since the (x-a) term is 0?
The theorem says that the function is smooth, i.e. differentiable an arbitrary number of times. Differentiable functions are continuous. The value of a continuous function at a specific point in its domain is completely determined by its values in the rest of its domain. For example, if ##f:\mathbb R\to\mathbb R## is continuous then ##f(0)=\lim_{n\to\infty}f\big(\frac 1 n\big)##.

hideelo said:
How is the equality in equation 2.2.5 justified, I'm just not seeing it
Assuming that you meant the last equality, this is how:

First term: f(p) is a constant function (the map that takes an arbitrary q to f(p)), so v(f(p))=0.

Second term: The sum is of the form ##\sum_\mu (A_\mu-A_\mu)B_\mu## so every term is zero.

Third term: For all smooth functions f and all constant functions g, we have v(f-g)=v(f)-v(g)=v(f).
 
an n manifold is by definition locally isomorphic (i.e. diffeomorphic)) to R^n, hence (by chain rule) each tangent space is isomorphic to the tangent space to R^n at the image point. Do you know that R^n is the tangent space to R^n at each point? That would do it.