Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of dimension of the tangent space

1. May 21, 2015 #1
    I am attaching a picture of a proof from the book "general relativity" by wald. This is supposed to show that the tangent space of an n dimensional manifold is also n dimensional. I have two questions.

In equation 2.2.3 couldn't the function be anything at a since the (x-a) term is 0?

How is the equality in equation 2.2.5 justified, I'm just not seeing it

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm sorry, I cannot read the picture attached. Can't you just type it?

4. May 21, 2015 #3
    It's hard to write them out on my phone, so I'll try another picture

Attached Files:

5. May 21, 2015 #4
    Is that better?

6. May 21, 2015 #5

martinbn

Science Advisor

No, it has to be exacly as written. Otherwise 2.2.2. will not be true.

7. May 21, 2015 #6
    I'm assuming 2.2.2 follows from the gradient theorem, in which case 2.2.3 should really be an integral, otherwise it's not an equality but the linear approximation.

8. May 22, 2015 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A proof very similar to Wald's is included in Isham. Start reading on page 79. The proof is on pages 82-84.

Last time I discussed this proof with someone, I posted my version of it. It's in post #14 here.

9. May 22, 2015 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The theorem says that the function is smooth, i.e. differentiable an arbitrary number of times. Differentiable functions are continuous. The value of a continuous function at a specific point in its domain is completely determined by its values in the rest of its domain. For example, if ##f:\mathbb R\to\mathbb R## is continuous then ##f(0)=\lim_{n\to\infty}f\big(\frac 1 n\big)##.

Assuming that you meant the last equality, this is how:

First term: f(p) is a constant function (the map that takes an arbitrary q to f(p)), so v(f(p))=0.

Second term: The sum is of the form ##\sum_\mu (A_\mu-A_\mu)B_\mu## so every term is zero.

Third term: For all smooth functions f and all constant functions g, we have v(f-g)=v(f)-v(g)=v(f).

10. May 28, 2015 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

an n manifold is by definition locally isomorphic (i.e. diffeomorphic)) to R^n, hence (by chain rule) each tangent space is isomorphic to the tangent space to R^n at the image point. Do you know that R^n is the tangent space to R^n at each point? That would do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook