1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of existence of a Jordan form?

1. Feb 24, 2007 #1
    I have been recently introduced to the idea of Jordan form of a matrix, and I have attempted to prove it. However, there is one step that I cannot prove. If I can prove the step, then everything else is done.

Let A be a m by m matrix with characteristic polynomial
    [tex]ch(x)=(x-\lambda)^{m}[/tex]
    I want to show that there exist distinct vectors, v1 to vm, not zero, such that:
    [tex]A\vec{v}_1=\lambda \vec{v}_1[/tex]
    [tex]A\vec{v}_2=\lambda \vec{v}_2+\vec{v}_1[/tex]
    [tex]A\vec{v}_3=\lambda \vec{v}_3+\vec{v}_2[/tex]
    [tex]A\vec{v}_m=\lambda \vec{v}_m+\vec{v}_{m-1}[/tex]

as long as these vectors exist, I can show that they are linearly independent, form a basis... bla bla bla and the Jordan form easily follows....But I just do not know how theses vectors must exist.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I doubt you can do that since it is not true (just take A the identity matrix). You should find a decent statement of Jordan Normal Form. It is not that you can find vectors like that. It is a statement about how to decompose a linear map as the composite of two linear maps satisfying certain properties.

Oh, and as far as I can recall, it is a very non-trivial theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?