Proof of oscillation about the equilibrium

In summary, Homework Statement:The problem is question 2(a) in the attached pdf. I seem to find myself at a dead end and am not sure where to go from here. I will attach my working in a separate file, but basically I need to show that the oscillator passes/crosses over the x = 0 boundary at a positive time, but I don't seem to be able to do that (or have enough information to) without ending up with nothing, or an impossible equation, like an exponential term = 0.
Bonnie

Homework Statement

The problem is question 2(a) in the attached pdf. I seem to find myself at a dead end and am not sure where to go from here - I will attach my working in a separate file, but basically I need to show that the oscillator passes/crosses over the x = 0 boundary at a positive time, but I don't seem to be able to do that (or have enough information to) without ending up with nothing, or an impossible equation, like an exponential term = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• PHYS205 Assignment 8.pdf
    17.5 KB · Views: 385
  • 20180514_101513.jpg
    20180514_101513.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
Your picture is half illegible. Seems you do find an ##\omega## though.
However: your try with an intial displacement of 0 of course doesn't let the thing oscillate !

free tip: work with symbols, not with numbers. Only at the last moment, if/when a value is needed, subtitute values.

BvU said:
Your picture is half illegible. Seems you do find an ##\omega## though.
However: your try with an intial displacement of 0 of course doesn't let the thing oscillate !

free tip: work with symbols, not with numbers. Only at the last moment, if/when a value is needed, subtitute values.

ω is 20 rads-1, from the equation (I have shown it only with values substituted):
p = -γ/2 +/- √[ω2 - (γ/2)2]
where ω2 = 400 and γ = 5\

And I set x(0) = D, not 0, as x is a function of t, is that incorrect?
Thanks

Bonnie said:
And I set x(0) = D, not 0, as x is a function of t, is that incorrect?
No, that's correct. But it looks a lot like a zero on my screen.

Your Solution
upload_2018-5-14_0-44-14.png

has ##x=Ce^{-{5\over 2}t} e^{\rm illegible}## when originally it was
upload_2018-5-14_0-45-25.png
( so probably ##x=Ce^{pt} ## ?) and you found two ##p##. What happened to the second ?

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-14_0-44-14.png
    upload_2018-5-14_0-44-14.png
    970 bytes · Views: 707
  • upload_2018-5-14_0-45-25.png
    upload_2018-5-14_0-45-25.png
    748 bytes · Views: 741
BvU said:
No, that's correct. But it looks a lot like a zero on my screen.

Your Solution View attachment 225681
has ##x=Ce^{-{5\over 2}t} e^{\rm illegible}## when originally it was View attachment 225682 ( so probably ##x=Ce^{pt} ## ?) and you found two ##p##. What happened to the second ?
I'll try to attach a better photo, but the second p is included in the e+/- 393.75j

Attachments

• 20180514_101513.jpg
    20180514_101513.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 409
Bonnie said:
I'll try to attach a better photo, but the second p is included in the e+/- 393.75j
Ah, I've just realized that the photo quality is significantly decreased by uploading it here. Apologies for that

You need to rethink your solution. A second order differential equation needs two integration constants (one for ##x## and one for ##\dot x## if you want to put it that way).

If there are two ##p## to solve the characteristic equation, then ##C_1 \,e^{p_1 t}## is a solution and so is ##C_2 \,e^{p_2 t}##.

1. What is meant by "proof of oscillation about the equilibrium"?

"Proof of oscillation about the equilibrium" refers to the mathematical evidence that a system or object will repeatedly move back and forth around a stable position of balance or rest, known as the equilibrium point. This can be observed in various natural and physical phenomena, such as a pendulum swinging or the motion of atoms in a vibrating molecule.

2. How is the proof of oscillation about the equilibrium determined?

The proof of oscillation about the equilibrium is typically determined through mathematical analysis and calculations. This involves examining the forces and variables acting on the system and determining if they will result in a repetitive back-and-forth motion around the equilibrium point.

3. What is the significance of proving oscillation about the equilibrium?

Proving oscillation about the equilibrium is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of various systems and objects, such as mechanical systems, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions. It also allows us to design and control these systems for desired outcomes.

4. Can a system oscillate about multiple equilibrium points?

Yes, a system can oscillate about multiple equilibrium points if the forces acting on it are balanced at each point. This is known as multi-stability and can be observed in various systems, such as a ball rolling between two hills or a molecule with multiple stable configurations.

5. Are there any real-life examples of oscillation about the equilibrium?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of oscillation about the equilibrium. Some common examples include a swinging pendulum, a bouncing ball, and the motion of a swinging door. Other examples can be found in nature, such as the motion of a leaf on a tree branch or the movement of tides in the ocean.