1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding angular frequency about the equilibrium position.

1. Apr 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Alright so I've got a potential energy equation U(x) = E/β^4(x^4+4βx^3-8(β^2)x^2) and U'(x) = E/β^4[4(x^3) + 12β(x^2) - 16(β^2)x] (where β and E are constants) that describes a particle of mass m which is oscillating in an energy well. I solved for where the system has equilibrium positions through simple differentiation of U(x). (an equilibrium is at x=β and x=-4β) Now I have to find the angular frequency about each equilibrium position and estimate how small the oscillations should be around the equilibrium position.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I figure that since dU/dt = ma, I can differentiate U(x), equate it to acceleration, and solve for ω. However, the equation for U(x) is rather messy, and I still don't know across which distance the particle is oscillating. Any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2012 #2

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  4. Apr 4, 2012 #3
    But how does that help me solve for angular frequency? I have already found the equilibrium positions where U(x) is concave.

5. Apr 4, 2012 #4
    this is diagram U(x)
    1-equilibrium position(STATIC)[tex]\left.\begin{matrix} \frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial x^2} \end{matrix}\right|_{X=x_{1},x_{2}}> 0[/tex]

2-indfferent[tex]\left.\begin{matrix} \frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial x^2} \end{matrix}\right|_{X=x_{1},x_{2}}= 0[/tex]

3-equilibrium position(not static)[tex]\left.\begin{matrix} \frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial x^2} \end{matrix}\right|_{X=x_{1},x_{2}}< 0[/tex]

Attached Files:

6. Apr 4, 2012 #5

an equilibrium is not at x=β and x=-4β

7. Apr 4, 2012 #6
    Arghgagh ... there should be a prime in the original potential energy equation above. I corrected it.
    Thanks.

-But the values of x = β and -4β are still correct.

8. Apr 4, 2012 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equilibrium points are correct. Write up the Taylor expansion of U(x) around both of them and stop at the second order term.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook