Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding Angular Frequency of Small Oscillations about an Equilibrium

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a system of one generalized coordinate theta, having the following Lagrangian equation of motion:

r and b are constants
    m is mass

(1/3)mb[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\ddot{\theta}[/tex] = r(r+b)[tex]\theta[/tex] + r[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{3}[/tex] + gr[tex]\theta[/tex]

And this potential energy (if it matters):

U = mg(r+b) - mgr[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]

There is an equilibrium point where theta is equal to zero.

Find the angular frequency of small oscillations about [tex]\theta[/tex] = 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the potential energy, can't I just say

U = (1/2)k[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]
    where
    k = 2mgr
    so that I can write
    [tex]\omega[/tex] = (k/m)^(1/2)
    [tex]\omega[/tex] = (2gr)^(1/2)
    and call that the angular frequency?

But the problem asks me to do it the Lagrangian way.

So
    [tex]\omega[/tex] = (2[tex]\pi[/tex])/[tex]\tau[/tex]

How can I find tau?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Clever, but it's not right. You can see this by comparing the units of U=(1/2)kx^2 with those of U = (1/2)k[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]: both U's have the same unit, both x doesn't have the same unit as theta, so the two k's must have different units. That means the equation omega=(k/m)^1/2 is not correct.

To start, do you know the characteristic differential equation for simple harmonic motion? Try to get the Lagrangian equation of motion into that form, remembering that theta^3 is much smaller than theta for small values of theta.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook