1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Angular Frequency of Small Oscillations about an Equilibrium

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a system of one generalized coordinate theta, having the following Lagrangian equation of motion:

r and b are constants
    m is mass

(1/3)mb[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\ddot{\theta}[/tex] = r(r+b)[tex]\theta[/tex] + r[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{3}[/tex] + gr[tex]\theta[/tex]

And this potential energy (if it matters):

U = mg(r+b) - mgr[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]

There is an equilibrium point where theta is equal to zero.

Find the angular frequency of small oscillations about [tex]\theta[/tex] = 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the potential energy, can't I just say

U = (1/2)k[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]
    where
    k = 2mgr
    so that I can write
    [tex]\omega[/tex] = (k/m)^(1/2)
    [tex]\omega[/tex] = (2gr)^(1/2)
    and call that the angular frequency?

But the problem asks me to do it the Lagrangian way.

So
    [tex]\omega[/tex] = (2[tex]\pi[/tex])/[tex]\tau[/tex]

How can I find tau?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Clever, but it's not right. You can see this by comparing the units of U=(1/2)kx^2 with those of U = (1/2)k[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]: both U's have the same unit, both x doesn't have the same unit as theta, so the two k's must have different units. That means the equation omega=(k/m)^1/2 is not correct.

To start, do you know the characteristic differential equation for simple harmonic motion? Try to get the Lagrangian equation of motion into that form, remembering that theta^3 is much smaller than theta for small values of theta.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook