Proof of Physics Background for Master Application

In summary, the individual is a recent graduate from a bachelor degree in engineering physics and wishes to apply for a master degree in pure physics next year. They have read ZapperZ's post on checking their understanding in physics and are wondering if there are any exams or other ways to demonstrate their understanding of necessary background knowledge in physics and mathematics. They also have a few months of research experience in thin film surface modification and a year of research experience in theoretical simulation. They are seeking advice on their chances of being accepted to Germany master schools with a ranking within 200, coming from a not very well known university in Hong Kong. They plan to contact the admissions departments of these schools for more information.
Lukanol
Hello guys!

I have recently graduated from my bachelor degree in engineering physics and I wish to apply for a master degree in pure physics next year. I have read ZapperZ's post on how to check my own understanding in physics. However, is there any examinations (or anything else) I can take so that I can persuade others about my concrete understanding of any necessary background knowledge in physics and mathematics?

Also, what are my chances for being accepted to germany master schools which has a ranking within 200? I am graduated with a second upper class honor from a not very well known university in Hong Kong. I have only a few months of research experiences in thin film surface modification, plus a year of research experience in theoretical simulation as a research assistant.

Thanks! and please let me know if you need more information.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

Your best plan for finding what the admissions requirements for a particular school is to contact them. Get on the net and find their admissions department. Get your email working. Google is your friend. Hong Kong? Might be behind the Great Firewall in which case you want Bing.

For some degrees some universities in some locations want you to write an examination. Others do not. Some will be more interested in your degree and your letters of recommendation from some of your profs at your current school. Some will be more interested in your grade point average. Some will want all three, or some combination.

Thanks for the advices!

I will start contacting them for the information.

1. What specific courses should I have taken in physics to demonstrate a strong background?

The courses that are typically recommended for a strong physics background include introductory courses in classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. Additionally, courses in mathematical methods and laboratory experience are also beneficial.

2. Can I substitute courses from other disciplines for physics courses?

While some universities may allow for substitutions, it is generally recommended to have a strong foundation in physics courses specifically. This is because many higher level physics courses build upon concepts and theories learned in introductory courses, and having a background in other disciplines may not adequately prepare you for those courses.

3. How can I demonstrate my proficiency in physics if I have not taken many physics courses?

If you have not taken many physics courses, you can demonstrate your proficiency by taking additional courses in a related field such as mathematics, engineering, or computer science. You can also participate in research projects or internships in a physics-related field to showcase your skills and understanding.

4. Is it necessary to have a high GPA in my physics courses to demonstrate a strong background?

While a high GPA can certainly demonstrate your understanding and mastery of physics concepts, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your overall application, including letters of recommendation and experience in physics-related activities, will also be taken into account.

5. How can I highlight my physics background in my application materials?

In addition to listing your physics courses and grades on your transcript, you can also include any relevant research projects, internships, or extracurricular activities that demonstrate your interest and proficiency in physics. You can also ask your professors or mentors to write letters of recommendation that speak to your strengths and abilities in the field of physics.