1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proof of sup(A+B) = sup A + sup B | is my thought process correct?

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A and B be subsets of R (real numbers). The vector sum of two sets A and B is written as A+B and is defined to be:

A+B = {a+b : a in A, b in B}

Prove that for all bounded nonempty sets A and B, sup (A+B) = sup A + sup B

3. The attempt at a solution

let A* = sup A, B*=sup B and C*=sup(A+B)

(1) we first prove that C*<= A* + B*
    - I understand the proof for this part

(2) Next, we prove that A* + B*<= C*
    - This is MY proof:

since C* is the sup (A+B), then for any a+b in set (A+B):

a+b <= C*

Thus, C* is an upper bound for a+b, for any a in A and b in B

This implies that C* is also the upper bound for the sum of the highest possible a in A (namely, A*) and the highest possible b in B (namely, B*). Therefore:

A*+B* <=C*

In conclusion, by (1) and (2):

A*+B*=C*

My question, what is wrong with the logic in proof (2)? The solution has something different but I want to check if my thought process is also correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That last sentence isn't very clear. I think you are just trying to restate the fact that C* = sup(A+B).

I don't think anyone will be convinced by that "argument".

The sup of A is not the "highest possible" a in A. The sup may not be in the set.

You might have better luck with an indirect argument. Suppose C* < A* + B* and see if you can come up with a contradiction.

4. Jun 1, 2010 #3
    I'm trying to prove that C* = A*+B* or sup(A+B) = sup A + sup B. I'm doing this by proving that both C*<=A*+B* and C*>=A*+B* are true. So the question is, what can I conclude from the following hypothesis:

a+b <= C*, for any a in A and b in B

5. Jun 1, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I understand what you are trying to prove. You said you have already shown

C* ≤ A* + B*

and you need to show A* + B* ≤ C* to be finished. I suggested you try to show this by an indirect argument by assuming this is false -- suppose A* + B* > C* and show that can't happen. Give an argument so show that can't happen. If you can do that you will have shown that C* ≤ A* + B* and C* is not less than A*+ B*, so they must be equal.

So use the properties of sup to show that A* + B* can't be greater than C* and you are done.

[edit: corrected typos]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  6. Jun 1, 2010 #5
    Let me just clarify why your logic doesn't work. It's true that a + b <= C* for all a in A and b in B. But, as LCKurtz said, A* might not be in A and B* might not be in B, so you cannot immediately conclude that A* + B* <= C* without further argument.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook