Proof of sup(A+B) = sup A + sup B | is my thought process correct?

In summary: In fact, you could have A = B = [0, 0] (i.e. the set containing only the number 0). Then A* = B* = 0, and C* = 0, but A* + B* = 0 < 0 = C*. So it's not true in general that A* + B* <= C*, and you need to come up with a separate argument for that.
michonamona

Homework Statement

Let A and B be subsets of R (real numbers). The vector sum of two sets A and B is written as A+B and is defined to be:

A+B = {a+b : a in A, b in B}

Prove that for all bounded nonempty sets A and B, sup (A+B) = sup A + sup B

The Attempt at a Solution

let A* = sup A, B*=sup B and C*=sup(A+B)

(1) we first prove that C*<= A* + B*
- I understand the proof for this part

(2) Next, we prove that A* + B*<= C*
- This is MY proof:

since C* is the sup (A+B), then for any a+b in set (A+B):

a+b <= C*

Thus, C* is an upper bound for a+b, for any a in A and b in B

This implies that C* is also the upper bound for the sum of the highest possible a in A (namely, A*) and the highest possible b in B (namely, B*). Therefore:

A*+B* <=C*

In conclusion, by (1) and (2):

A*+B*=C*
My question, what is wrong with the logic in proof (2)? The solution has something different but I want to check if my thought process is also correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
michonamona said:

Homework Statement

Let A and B be subsets of R (real numbers). The vector sum of two sets A and B is written as A+B and is defined to be:

A+B = {a+b : a in A, b in B}

Prove that for all bounded nonempty sets A and B, sup (A+B) = sup A + sup B

The Attempt at a Solution

let A* = sup A, B*=sup B and C*=sup(A+B)

(1) we first prove that C*<= A* + B*
- I understand the proof for this part

(2) Next, we prove that A* + B*<= C*
- This is MY proof:

since C* is the sup (A+B), then for any a+b in set (A+B):

a+b <= C*

Thus, C* is an upper bound for a+b, for any a in A and b in B

That last sentence isn't very clear. I think you are just trying to restate the fact that C* = sup(A+B).

This implies that C* is also the upper bound for the sum of the highest possible a in A (namely, A*) and the highest possible b in B (namely, B*). Therefore:

A*+B* <=C*

I don't think anyone will be convinced by that "argument".

The sup of A is not the "highest possible" a in A. The sup may not be in the set.

You might have better luck with an indirect argument. Suppose C* < A* + B* and see if you can come up with a contradiction.

LCKurtz said:
That last sentence isn't very clear. I think you are just trying to restate the fact that C* = sup(A+B).

I don't think anyone will be convinced by that "argument".

The sup of A is not the "highest possible" a in A. The sup may not be in the set.

You might have better luck with an indirect argument. Suppose C* < A* + B* and see if you can come up with a contradiction.

I'm trying to prove that C* = A*+B* or sup(A+B) = sup A + sup B. I'm doing this by proving that both C*<=A*+B* and C*>=A*+B* are true. So the question is, what can I conclude from the following hypothesis:

a+b <= C*, for any a in A and b in B

michonamona said:
I'm trying to prove that C* = A*+B* or sup(A+B) = sup A + sup B. I'm doing this by proving that both C*<=A*+B* and C*>=A*+B* are true. So the question is, what can I conclude from the following hypothesis:

a+b <= C*, for any a in A and b in B

I understand what you are trying to prove. You said you have already shown

C* ≤ A* + B*

and you need to show A* + B* ≤ C* to be finished. I suggested you try to show this by an indirect argument by assuming this is false -- suppose A* + B* > C* and show that can't happen. Give an argument so show that can't happen. If you can do that you will have shown that C* ≤ A* + B* and C* is not less than A*+ B*, so they must be equal.

So use the properties of sup to show that A* + B* can't be greater than C* and you are done.

[edit: corrected typos]

Last edited:
Let me just clarify why your logic doesn't work. It's true that a + b <= C* for all a in A and b in B. But, as LCKurtz said, A* might not be in A and B* might not be in B, so you cannot immediately conclude that A* + B* <= C* without further argument.

1. What is the definition of sup(A+B)?

Sup(A+B) is the supremum or least upper bound of the set formed by adding all the elements of set A and set B. This means that it is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all elements in sets A and B.

2. How do you prove that sup(A+B) = sup A + sup B?

To prove that sup(A+B) = sup A + sup B, we need to show that the supremum of the set formed by adding all the elements of sets A and B (sup(A+B)) is equal to the sum of the supremum of set A (sup A) and the supremum of set B (sup B). This can be done by showing that sup(A+B) is an upper bound for the set A+B and that it is the smallest upper bound or supremum.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate the proof of sup(A+B) = sup A + sup B?

Let A = {1, 2, 3} and B = {4, 5, 6}. The sum of A and B is {1+4, 2+4, 3+4, 1+5, 2+5, 3+5, 1+6, 2+6, 3+6} = {5, 6, 7, 6, 7, 8, 7, 8, 9}. The supremum of A is 3 and the supremum of B is 6. The supremum of A+B is 9. We can see that 3+6 = 9, which is the same as sup A + sup B, proving that sup(A+B) = sup A + sup B.

4. Is the proof of sup(A+B) = sup A + sup B applicable to all sets A and B?

Yes, the proof of sup(A+B) = sup A + sup B is applicable to all sets A and B, as long as the sets are non-empty and bounded above. This means that the sets have a maximum or largest element.

5. Can you explain the significance of proving sup(A+B) = sup A + sup B?

Proving sup(A+B) = sup A + sup B is significant because it allows us to manipulate and work with supremums of sets in a more straightforward manner. It also helps us understand the relationship between sets and their supremums, which is important in various mathematical and scientific fields.