1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of the general form of the equipartition theorem

1. Jan 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For a Hamiltonian of the form [itex]H=\sum_{j=1}^m a_j p_j^2 + \sum_{j=1}^n b_j q_j^2 + H'(q_{n+1}, \dots, q_{sN}, p_{m+1}, \dots, p_{sN})[/itex] (for a system with n coordinates and m momenta, s degrees of freedom and N particles), show that [itex]\overline{a_jp_j^2}=\frac{kT}{2}[/itex], for j=1,...,m and [itex]\overline{b_jq_j^2}=\frac{kT}{2}[/itex], for j=1,...,n.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]P(q,p)=\frac{exp[-\beta H(q,p)]}{Z_N}[/itex]
    [itex]Z_N=\frac{1}{N!h^{sN}}\int \int exp[-\beta H(q,p)]\,d^{sN}q\,d^{sN}p[/itex]
    [itex]P_x(x_1,...,x_N)dx_1...dx_n = P_y(y_1(x_1,...,x_N),...,y_N(x_1,...,x_N)) \left|J\left(\frac{y_1,...,y_N}{x_1,...,x_N}\right)\right| dx_1...dx_N[/itex]

Note that [itex]\beta=\frac{1}{kT}[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly don't really know where to go with this... I've tried plugging stuff in, but I'm really at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, Homo Novus.
    Can you elaborate on what you did when you were plugging stuff in?

4. Jan 28, 2013 #3
    I tried messing around with the formulas, but honestly I don't really know what I'm doing. I tried to find [itex]P(a_jp_j^2,b_jq_j^2)[/itex] from [itex]P(q,p)[/itex], but I don't know what to do with the [itex]d^{sN}q\,d^{sN}p[/itex] left over... and then, assuming I do manage to find the correct distribution formula, I don't know how to find the average.

5. Jan 28, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose you have a probability distribution function ##p(x)## for some continuous variable x. And suppose you have some function of x, ##f(x)##. Do you know how to find the average value of ##f(x)##: ##\overline{f(x)}##? [Edit: In particular, how would you find ##\overline{x^2}##?]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook