Proof of the general form of the equipartition theorem

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Homo Novus
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



For a Hamiltonian of the form [itex]H=\sum_{j=1}^m a_j p_j^2 + \sum_{j=1}^n b_j q_j^2 + H'(q_{n+1}, \dots, q_{sN}, p_{m+1}, \dots, p_{sN})[/itex] (for a system with n coordinates and m momenta, s degrees of freedom and N particles), show that [itex]\overline{a_jp_j^2}=\frac{kT}{2}[/itex], for j=1,...,m and [itex]\overline{b_jq_j^2}=\frac{kT}{2}[/itex], for j=1,...,n.

Homework Equations



[itex]P(q,p)=\frac{exp[-\beta H(q,p)]}{Z_N}[/itex]
[itex]Z_N=\frac{1}{N!h^{sN}}\int \int exp[-\beta H(q,p)]\,d^{sN}q\,d^{sN}p[/itex]
[itex]P_x(x_1,...,x_N)dx_1...dx_n = P_y(y_1(x_1,...,x_N),...,y_N(x_1,...,x_N)) \left|J\left(\frac{y_1,...,y_N}{x_1,...,x_N}\right)\right| dx_1...dx_N[/itex]

Note that [itex]\beta=\frac{1}{kT}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution



I honestly don't really know where to go with this... I've tried plugging stuff in, but I'm really at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Homo Novus.
Homo Novus said:

The Attempt at a Solution



... I've tried plugging stuff in, but I'm really at a loss.

Can you elaborate on what you did when you were plugging stuff in?
 
I tried messing around with the formulas, but honestly I don't really know what I'm doing. I tried to find [itex]P(a_jp_j^2,b_jq_j^2)[/itex] from [itex]P(q,p)[/itex], but I don't know what to do with the [itex]d^{sN}q\,d^{sN}p[/itex] left over... and then, assuming I do manage to find the correct distribution formula, I don't know how to find the average.
 
Suppose you have a probability distribution function ##p(x)## for some continuous variable x. And suppose you have some function of x, ##f(x)##. Do you know how to find the average value of ##f(x)##: ##\overline{f(x)}##? [Edit: In particular, how would you find ##\overline{x^2}##?]