• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Proof of transcendentals uncountable

Hi guys,
My question is to prove that the set of algebraic numbers is countable, then also prove that the set of transcendentals are uncountable. I have already proved the countability of the algebraics but now i do not know how to proceed. I beleive it could be as simple as the complement of the algebraics in R is uncountable, but I am not sure if the complement of the algebraics numbers within R is the set of transcendentals or not. I was unable to find out if this is the case.. I saw that trascendtals could possibly be complex, but in any case, if transcendentals make up the rest of R, then I would be done.. Any help would be great.. If anyone needs to see my proof of algebraics being countable I will post if someone asks.
Thanks

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Of course the real transcendentals are the complement of the real algebraic numbers in R. That's basically the DEFINITION of 'real transcendental'. What's your definition?

Thanks, dick. So this would work as an answer? Simply proving the countability of the algebraic numbers?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Thanks, dick. So this would work as an answer? Simply proving the countability of the algebraic numbers?
Sure. You know the reals are uncountable, right? If you've proved the algebraics are countable, then if the transcendentals were also countable, I think you'd have a contradiction.