1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proof of transcendentals uncountable

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    Hi guys,
    My question is to prove that the set of algebraic numbers is countable, then also prove that the set of transcendentals are uncountable. I have already proved the countability of the algebraics but now i do not know how to proceed. I beleive it could be as simple as the complement of the algebraics in R is uncountable, but I am not sure if the complement of the algebraics numbers within R is the set of transcendentals or not. I was unable to find out if this is the case.. I saw that trascendtals could possibly be complex, but in any case, if transcendentals make up the rest of R, then I would be done.. Any help would be great.. If anyone needs to see my proof of algebraics being countable I will post if someone asks.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course the real transcendentals are the complement of the real algebraic numbers in R. That's basically the DEFINITION of 'real transcendental'. What's your definition?

4. Sep 8, 2010 #3
    Thanks, dick. So this would work as an answer? Simply proving the countability of the algebraic numbers?

5. Sep 8, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. You know the reals are uncountable, right? If you've proved the algebraics are countable, then if the transcendentals were also countable, I think you'd have a contradiction.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook