1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of x and y int of a line

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    prove that [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex] = c
    Show that the sum of the x and y intercepts of any tangents to the line above = c (some positive constant).

2. Relevant equations
    y1 - y2 = m(x1 - x2)
    dy/dx(for this problem) = -[tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex]/[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I get the slope, as written above, and put it into a point/slope equation, but where from here? When I try to solve for y = 0 and x = 0 I always have y2 and x2 left, I think I might just be doing something completely wrong, I haven't done something like this for a while. Is this even the right direction? Solve for the y and x int by making the opposite 0 in the equation, and then try to get the results, (the two interecepts) to add up to be [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

Science Advisor

First problem, I don't know what "x1", "y1", "x2", and "y2" are since you don't say. You mean, I think, that the equation of the tangent line at [itex](x_1, y_1)[/itex] is [itex]y- y_1= m(x- x_1).

But your real problem is that the derivative of y with respect to x is NOT [itex]-\sqrt{y}/\sqrt{x}[/itex]. You have x and y reversed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook