Proof of x and y int of a line

  • Thread starter Thread starter lax1113
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Line Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
lax1113
Messages
171
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


prove that [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex] = c
Show that the sum of the x and y intercepts of any tangents to the line above = c (some positive constant).


Homework Equations


y1 - y2 = m(x1 - x2)
dy/dx(for this problem) = -[tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex]/[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


So I get the slope, as written above, and put it into a point/slope equation, but where from here? When I try to solve for y = 0 and x = 0 I always have y2 and x2 left, I think I might just be doing something completely wrong, I haven't done something like this for a while. Is this even the right direction? Solve for the y and x int by making the opposite 0 in the equation, and then try to get the results, (the two interecepts) to add up to be [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First problem, I don't know what "x1", "y1", "x2", and "y2" are since you don't say. You mean, I think, that the equation of the tangent line at [itex](x_1, y_1)[/itex] is [itex]y- y_1= m(x- x_1). <br /> <br /> But your real problem is that the derivative of y with respect to x is NOT [itex]-\sqrt{y}/\sqrt{x}[/itex]. You have x and y reversed.[/itex]