1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that : about sigma-algebra

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    let C be acollection . of subsets of a set X , then there is asmallest sigma-algebra H containing C proof that:
    H = the intersection of Bs ,B from F and F = familly of all sigma algebra that contains C

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2
    You need to demonstrate that H is a subset of any sigma algebra which contains C and that H is a sigma algebra.

4. Sep 14, 2009 #3
    how? can u help me?

5. Sep 14, 2009 #4
    If you don't know how to demonstrate that the intersection of all sigma algebras containing C is a subset of any sigma algebra containing C, then no, I don't think I can.

6. Sep 14, 2009 #5
    Can you show: the intersection of any family of sigma-algebras (on X) is a sigma-algebra?

7. Sep 14, 2009 #6
    1) H, being the intersection of all sigma algebras containing C, also contains C.

2) Need to show H is a sigma algebra. Show this by showing that it's closed under union and complimentation. To do this remember that an element of H is an element of all B's.

3) The intersect is always smaller than each of the elements. Therefore with the intersect you'll find the sigma algebra that's the minimum. H is the minimum.

8. Sep 14, 2009 #7
    H is defined to contain C. Otherwise the statement "H, being the intersection of all sigma algebras containing C, also contains C" need not be true. No?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  9. Sep 15, 2009 #8
    H is defined to contain C.

The intersect of all sigma algebras containing C should also contain C.

Therefore it is possible for H to be the intersect of all sigma algebras containing C.

I just wanted to show that the intersection of all those sigma algebras satisfies everything that H satisfies, and later on argue that it's the smallest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook