Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that FTL communication quantum protocol is impossible?

1. Feb 28, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

I am reading pretty much everywhere that no quantum protocol for faster-than-light communication can exist.

Now, clearly neither super-dense coding nor any other quantum protocol I know of can be used for FTL communication - but is there a self-contained proof that no such protocol can exist? And if yes, where can I find it?

I am asking this because last week I had to prove, for one of my courses, that a certain problem can not be solved by any quantum algorithm: I managed to prove that if the problem had a solution then FTL communication would be possible, and therefore I concluded that no algorithm could solve the problem.

I also found -and included in my homework- a different proof of the same result by means of the no-deleting theorem, but it was definitely clunkier and less elegant than my first one.

So, I ended up using both proofs, and justifying the first one by saying that FTL communication (and hence, the original problem) can not be performed because, in a relativistic framework, it would lead to violations of the principle of causality.

But I wonder if a direct proof of the impossibility of using EPR pairs to transmit information without physical carriers exists - I just started taking an interest in quantum information theory, and for all I know there could be a fairly well-known theorem stating exactly this :smile:
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Feb 28, 2007 #3
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  5. Feb 28, 2007 #4
    Thank you for the references! :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?