Proof that if cos(x+y)=cos(x), then y=2*pi*k?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter suckmyfish1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
suckmyfish1
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Recently I remembered a property of cosine that I learned in high school, namely that the cosine function repeats every 2[itex]\pi[/itex]k times for every integer k. I was told that naturally, then, if cos(x+y)=cos(x), then y is of the form 2[itex]\pi[/itex]k, where k is an integer. However, I was looking for a formal proof of this. Can someone help me out? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
suckmyfish1 said:
Recently I remembered a property of cosine that I learned in high school, namely that the cosine function repeats every 2[itex]\pi[/itex]k times for every integer k. I was told that naturally, then, if cos(x+y)=cos(x), then y is of the form 2[itex]\pi[/itex]k, where k is an integer. However, I was looking for a formal proof of this. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

The described implication does not hold exclusively because [itex]cos(x) = cos(-x) = cos(x-2x)[/itex] for any x. As [itex]cos(z) = cos(w)[/itex] only when [itex]z[/itex] and [itex]w[/itex] are at the same x-coordinate of the unit circle we have [itex]z = \pm w + 2\pi k[/itex]. In the quoted case it is [itex]x = \pm (x+y) \rightarrow y = 2\pi k \vee y = -2x + 2\pi k[/itex].
 
Last edited:
suckmyfish1 said:
Recently I remembered a property of cosine that I learned in high school, namely that the cosine function repeats every 2[itex]\pi[/itex]k times for every integer k. I was told that naturally, then, if cos(x+y)=cos(x), then y is of the form 2[itex]\pi[/itex]k, where k is an integer. However, I was looking for a formal proof of this. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

[itex]cos(a) = cos(b) \text{ iff } a = b + 2\pi k \text{ or } a = -b + 2\pi k[/itex]

Therefore, [itex]cos(x) = cos(x+y) \text{ iff } x = (x + y) + 2\pi k \text{ or } x = -(x+y) + 2\pi k[/itex].

This reduces to [itex]y = + 2\pi k \text{ or } y = -2x + 2\pi k[/itex].

This proves that your friend's statement was incomplete, as y could be in the form of -2x+2πk as well

----

Edit: Although, if one considers y as a constant (as opposed to a function of x), then y could only be in the form of 2πk and work for all values of x. Maybe your friend was on the something after all :p