Proof that if cos(x+y)=cos(x), then y=2*pi*k?

• Thread starter suckmyfish1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a property of cosine that repeats every 2πk times for every integer k. It is stated that if cos(x+y)=cos(x), then y is of the form 2πk, where k is an integer. However, it is pointed out that this statement is incomplete as y could also be in the form of -2x+2πk. A formal proof of this property is requested.
suckmyfish1
Recently I remembered a property of cosine that I learned in high school, namely that the cosine function repeats every 2[itex]\pi[/itex]k times for every integer k. I was told that naturally, then, if cos(x+y)=cos(x), then y is of the form 2[itex]\pi[/itex]k, where k is an integer. However, I was looking for a formal proof of this. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of cosine and of pi?? What can we assume known??

suckmyfish1 said:
Recently I remembered a property of cosine that I learned in high school, namely that the cosine function repeats every 2[itex]\pi[/itex]k times for every integer k. I was told that naturally, then, if cos(x+y)=cos(x), then y is of the form 2[itex]\pi[/itex]k, where k is an integer. However, I was looking for a formal proof of this. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

The described implication does not hold exclusively because [itex] cos(x) = cos(-x) = cos(x-2x) [/itex] for any x. As [itex] cos(z) = cos(w) [/itex] only when [itex] z [/itex] and [itex] w [/itex] are at the same x-coordinate of the unit circle we have [itex] z = \pm w + 2\pi k[/itex]. In the quoted case it is [itex] x = \pm (x+y) \rightarrow y = 2\pi k \vee y = -2x + 2\pi k [/itex].

Last edited:
suckmyfish1 said:

[itex]cos(a) = cos(b) \text{ iff } a = b + 2\pi k \text{ or } a = -b + 2\pi k[/itex]

Therefore, [itex]cos(x) = cos(x+y) \text{ iff } x = (x + y) + 2\pi k \text{ or } x = -(x+y) + 2\pi k[/itex].

This reduces to [itex]y = + 2\pi k \text{ or } y = -2x + 2\pi k[/itex].

This proves that your friend's statement was incomplete, as y could be in the form of -2x+2πk as well

----

Edit: Although, if one considers y as a constant (as opposed to a function of x), then y could only be in the form of 2πk and work for all values of x. Maybe your friend was on the something after all :p

The statement that cos(x+y)=cos(x) implies that y=2*pi*k is a well-known property of the cosine function and can be proven using the fundamental trigonometric identities.

First, we can rewrite cos(x+y) as cos(x)cos(y)-sin(x)sin(y) using the sum formula for cosine. Then, equating this to cos(x), we get:

cos(x)cos(y)-sin(x)sin(y)=cos(x)

Rearranging this equation, we get:

cos(x)cos(y)=cos(x)+sin(x)sin(y)

Now, we can use the identity cos^2(x)+sin^2(x)=1 to substitute in for cos^2(x) and sin^2(x) in the above equation, giving us:

cos(x)(cos(y)-1)=sin(x)sin(y)

Next, we can divide both sides by cos(x) to get:

cos(y)-1=tan(x)sin(y)

Finally, we can use the fact that cos(y) repeats every 2*pi times to show that if cos(y)-1=tan(x)sin(y), then y must be of the form 2*pi*k, where k is an integer. This can be done by considering the different values of y that satisfy the equation for different values of k.

Therefore, we can conclude that if cos(x+y)=cos(x), then y=2*pi*k, where k is an integer. This is a formal proof of the property that was mentioned in the content.

1. What is the significance of cos(x+y)=cos(x)?

The equation cos(x+y)=cos(x) is known as the cosine addition formula. It expresses the relationship between the cosine of the sum of two angles and the individual cosines of those angles. It is an important tool in trigonometry and has various applications in mathematics and physics.

2. How can the equation be proven?

The equation can be proven using basic trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulations. First, we can substitute cos(x+y) with its expanded form cos(x)cos(y)-sin(x)sin(y). Then, we can rearrange the terms to isolate y on one side. Finally, by applying the inverse cosine function, we can solve for y and show that it is equal to 2*pi*k, where k is any integer.

3. What does the value of k represent in the equation?

The value of k represents the number of full rotations made by the sum of the angles x and y. Since the cosine function has a period of 2*pi, adding or subtracting any multiple of 2*pi to an angle does not change its cosine value. Therefore, the value of k can be any integer, as it represents the number of full rotations that do not affect the equality of the equation.

4. Can the equation be extended to other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the equation can be extended to other trigonometric functions such as sine and tangent. For example, if sin(x+y)=sin(x), then y=2*pi*k. This is because all trigonometric functions have similar addition formulas and can be proven using the same method. However, it is important to note that the values of k may differ for each function.

5. What practical applications does this equation have?

The equation has various practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. One example is in navigation, where it is used to calculate the position of an object based on its known initial position and velocity. It is also used in signal processing and wave analysis to determine the amplitude and phase of a signal. Additionally, the equation has applications in solving equations and simplifying trigonometric expressions in mathematics.