Proof of the Archimedean Property

In summary, the conversation is about the archimedean property and the proof of it by Rudin. There is a disagreement about one assertion made in the proof and the person is asking for clarification on how it immediately implies that the set A must have a least upper bound. The theorem being invoked is the completeness of the real number system. However, there are some flaws in the proposed proof and it is not clear if the idea of A having a least upper bound is necessary for the proof.
Bashyboy
I am reading Rudin's proof of this property, but I find one assertion he makes quite disagreeable to my understanding; I am hoping that someone could expound on this assertion. Here is the statement and proof of the archimedean property:

(a) If ##x \in R##, ##y \in R##, and ##x > 0##, then there exists a positive integer ##n## such that ##nx > y##.

(a) Let A be the set of all nx. If (a) were false, then y would be an upper bound of A. But then A has a least upper bound in R...

I understand the method of proof he is employing, a proof by contradiction, which leads to y being larger than every element A (hence, it is an upper bound). However, I do not understand how this immediately implies that A must have a least upper bound. Which theorem is he invoking to come to such a conclusion?

EDIT: Also, what is the quantification on x and y?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think its like this: If there is no n, such that [itex] nx > y [/itex], then y is greater than all the elements of A. But because the elements of A can be arbitrarily large, this means that [itex] y=\infty [/itex]. But this is a contradiction because we chose y in the beginning and we could have chosen a finite real number.
And about your last question, the theorem can be written like below:
[itex]
\forall x,y \in \mathbb R \ \ \ (x>0 \rightarrow (\exists n\in \mathbb N \ \ \ (nx>y)))
[/itex]

Bashyboy said:
However, I do not understand how this immediately implies that A must have a least upper bound. Which theorem is he invoking to come to such a conclusion?

My guess is "the completeness of the real number system". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Completeness_of_the_real_numbers

Shyan said:
I think its like this: If there is no n, such that nx>y nx > y , then y is greater than all the elements of A. But because the elements of A can be arbitrarily large, this means that y=∞ y=\infty . But this is a contradiction because we chose y in the beginning and we could have chosen a finite real number.

So, would the idea of ##A## having a least upper bound even be necessary for the proof?

Bashyboy said:
So, would the idea of ##A## having a least upper bound even be necessary for the proof?
Actually it isn't clear to me. That's why I proposed my own version of it. Maybe if you give the proof completely, I can tell!

EDIT:Well, I didn't use a least upper bound for A, so it doesn't seem necessary!

If A is the set of all real numbers of the form nx for some natural n and if y is an upper bound on A then by the least upper bound property, A must have a least upper bound. Call this bound B.

B is a real number. B minus x is a real number less than B. Since B is a least upper bound on A, B-x cannot be an upper bound on A. So there must be at least one member of A between B-x and B. That is, there is a real number of the form nx between B-x and B. Pick any such number and add x to it.

This new number is also of the form nx for some n. Thus it is a member of A and is greater than B. Contradiction.

Edit: Note that the proof offered by Shyan invokes infinity without definition and is, thus, invalid.

jbriggs444 said:
Edit: Note that the proof offered by Shyan invokes infinity without definition and is, thus, invalid.
Actually I thought I have the idea right and people can fix the probable handwavy things in it. You mean it can't be fixed?

Normally you do not know that to each real number there is a bigger natural number when you prove this theorem.

Pulling that proof back up and looking at it...

Shyan said:
I think its like this: If there is no n, such that [itex] nx > y [/itex], then y is greater than all the elements of A.
But because the elements of A can be arbitrarily large, this means that [itex] y=\infty [/itex].
But this is a contradiction because we chose y in the beginning and we could have chosen a finite real number.
##\infty## is not a real number. So y cannot be equal to ##\infty##. Further, there is no predicate "is finite" defined for the real numbers.

Edit: I missed a flaw. We didn't pick y in the beginning. The other team did. The assertion is that the relationship holds for all y. Even if there is such a thing as an infinite y, there still has to be an n large enough so that nx > y.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
Pulling that proof back up and looking at it...##\infty## is not a real number. So y cannot be equal to ##\infty##. Further, there is no predicate "is finite" defined for the real numbers.

Edit: I missed a flaw. We didn't pick y in the beginning. The other team did. The assertion is that the relationship holds for all y. Even if there is such a thing as an infinite y, there still has to be an n large enough so that nx > y.
Oops. Silly me. I thought we were on the same team. :D

1. What is the Archimedean Property?

The Archimedean Property is a mathematical principle that states that for any two positive numbers, there exists a natural number that is larger than the first number, when multiplied by itself, and smaller than the second number, when multiplied by itself.

2. Why is the Archimedean Property important?

The Archimedean Property is important because it forms the basis for the real number system, allowing us to compare and order different quantities. It also helps us to understand and solve various mathematical problems.

3. How is the Archimedean Property proven?

The Archimedean Property can be proven using the Well-Ordering Principle, which states that every non-empty set of positive integers has a least element. By contradiction, assume that the Archimedean Property does not hold. Then there exists two numbers for which there is no natural number that satisfies the property. However, this leads to a contradiction with the Well-Ordering Principle, and thus the Archimedean Property must hold.

4. What are some examples of the Archimedean Property in action?

An example of the Archimedean Property is the fact that no matter how small a positive real number is given, there will always be a natural number that is greater than it. Another example is the comparison of two real numbers by taking their ratio, which will show which number is larger.

5. How does the Archimedean Property relate to other mathematical concepts?

The Archimedean Property is closely related to the concept of limits, as it helps us to understand the behavior of functions as their input values approach infinity. It is also important in calculus and other areas of mathematics, as it allows us to prove the convergence of sequences and series.