1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that n! is not a power of an integer.

1. Jun 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that n! for n>1 cannot be a square or cube or any other power of an integer.
    Hint: There is always a prime between n/2 and n if n>3
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Lets assume for contradiction that [itex] n!=x^r [/itex] where x and r are natural numbers
    and n>3 , so there is some prime p that is between n/2 and n. well this occurs once in prime factorization of n!. Now x has some prime factorization and in order for [itex] x^r [/itex] to be equal to n! the prime p must be in x's prime factorization, but if r>1 then p will have r copies in
    [itex] x^r [/itex] so this is a contradiction because numbers have unique prime factorizations so
    n! is never a power of an integer for r>1.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sounds just fine to me. Any question?

4. Jun 4, 2013 #3
    ok thanks, just wanted to make sure it worked

5. Jun 4, 2013 #4
    Hi cragar, yes it looks good, but you are mixing n and n! here and there so it is a bit confusing, you might want to rephrase it.
    The original statement is probably at the origin of it, but when they say
    "Hint: There is always a prime between n/2 and n if n>3", it's not the same n that was used at the beginning of the problem, and your proof, although correct in the spirit (I think) would benefit from using different variable names or to be more explicit about when you talk about n or n!
    they are freely intermixed and it could be considered as just wrong

6. Jun 4, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks like the same n to me.

7. Jun 4, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure it's the same n. Knowing there's a prime between n!/2 and n! is pretty useless.

8. Jun 5, 2013 #7
    Hi guys, of course it is! I am the one mixing n! and n :)
    Cheers...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted