Every integer n>1 is the product of a square-free integer?

In summary, the proof shows that every integer greater than 1 can be expressed as the product of a square-free integer and a perfect square, where the prime factors of the integer have a mixture of odd and even powers. This is shown by considering two cases: when all powers of the prime factors are even and when at least one power is odd. The statement is true for perfect squares as they can be expressed as a square-free integer multiplied by a perfect square, and for integers such as ##2\cdot 3##, the prime factors are already in the form of a square-free integer and a perfect square.
Math100
Homework Statement
An integer is said to be square-free if it is not divisible by the square of any integer greater than ## 1 ##. Prove the following:
(b) Every integer ## n>1 ## is the product of a square-free integer and a perfect square.
[Hint: If ## n=p_{1}^{k_{1}} p_{2}^{k_{2}}\dotsb p_{s}^{k_{s}} ## is the canonical factorization of ## n ##, then write ## k_{i}=2q_{i}+r_{i} ## where ## r_{i}=0 ## or ## 1 ## according as ## k_{i} ## is even or odd.]
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof:

Suppose ## n>1 ## is a positive integer.
Let ## n=p_{1}^{k_{1}} p_{2}^{k_{2}}\dotsb p_{r}^{k_{r}} ## be the prime factorization of ## n ##
such that each ## k_{i} ## is a positive integer and ## p_{i}'s ## are prime for ## i=1,2,3,...,r ## with
## p_{1}<p_{2}<p_{3}<\dotsb <p_{r} ##.
Applying the Division Algorithm produces:
## k_{i}=2q_{i}+r_{i} ## for ## 0\leq r_{i}<2 ##,
where there exist unique integers ## q_{i} ## and ## r_{i} ##.
Since ## 0\leq r_{i}<2 ##,
it follows that ## k_{i}=2q_{i} ## or ## k_{i}=2q_{i}+1 ##.
Now we consider two cases.
Case #1: Suppose ## k_{i}=2q_{i} ##.
Then we have ## n=p_{1}^{k_{1}} p_{2}^{k_{2}}\dotsb p_{r}^{k_{r}} ##
## =p_{1}^{2q_{1}} p_{2}^{2q_{2}}\dotsb p_{r}^{2q_{r}} ##
## =(p_{1}^{q_{1}} p_{2}^{q_{2}}\dotsb p_{r}^{q_{r}})^2 ##
## =1\cdot (p_{1}^{q_{1}} p_{2}^{q_{2}}\dotsb p_{r}^{q_{r}})^2 ##.
Thus, ## 1 ## is a square-free integer and ## (p_{1}^{q_{1}} p_{2}^{q_{2}}\dotsb p_{r}^{q_{r}})^2 ##
is a perfect square.
Case #2: Suppose ## k_{i}=2q_{i}+1 ##.
Then we have ## n=p_{1}^{k_{1}} p_{2}^{k_{2}}\dotsb p_{r}^{k_{r}} ##
## =p_{1}^{2q_{1}+1} p_{2}^{2q_{2}+1}\dotsb p_{r}^{2q_{r}+1} ##
## =(p_{1} p_{2}\dotsb p_{r})(p_{1}^{2q_{1}} p_{2}^{2q_{2}}\dotsb p_{r}^{2q_{r}}) ##
## =(p_{1} p_{2}\dotsb p_{r})(p_{1}^{q_{1}} p_{2}^{q_{2}}\dotsb p_{r}^{q_{r}})^2 ##.
Thus, ## p_{1} p_{2}\dotsb p_{r} ## is a square-free integer and ## (p_{1}^{q_{1}} p_{2}^{q_{2}}\dotsb p_{r}^{q_{r}})^2 ##
is a perfect square.
Therefore, every integer ## n>1 ## is the product of a square-free integer and a perfect square.

Physics news on Phys.org
The primes factors will typically have a mixture of odd and even powers. You've assumed that either they are all even or they are all odd. That won't do at all.

Likes Math100
PeroK said:
The primes factors will typically have a mixture of odd and even powers. You've assumed that either they are all even or they are all odd. That won't do at all.
Then how should I revise this proof?

1. Suppose ##k_i = 2q_i## for every ##i##.
  2. Suppose ##k_i=2q_i+1## for at least one ##i##.
What did I tell you about quantifying your statements? Convince yourself that these are two mutually exclusive cases and that if you show the result in both cases you will have completed the proof.

Is the statement true for perfect squares? Why is the statement true for something like ##2\cdot 3##, say?

nuuskur said:
  1. Suppose ##k_i = 2q_i## for every ##i##.
  2. Suppose ##k_i=2q_i+1## for at least one ##i##.
What did I tell you about quantifying your statements? Convince yourself that these are two mutually exclusive cases and that if you show the result in both cases you will have completed the proof.

Is the statement true for perfect squares? Why is the statement true for something like ##2\cdot 3##, say?
Can you please specify 'perfect squares'? Are you talking about ## (k_i)^2=(2q_i)^2 ## or something else?

• Wow
Likes nuuskur
"Perfect square" appears in your problem statement. My assumption is you know all relevant definitions. If not, then make sure you do before you attempt to prove the statement.

On a cynical note - do not try to trick your grader into giving you definitions. I don't take kindly to that with my students and I bet a full wheel of mince pizza that others wouldn't, either.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for an integer to be "square-free"?

A square-free integer is an integer that is not divisible by any perfect square (other than 1). In other words, it does not have any repeated factors of prime numbers.

2. Why is it important to know if an integer is square-free?

Knowing if an integer is square-free can be useful in various mathematical calculations and proofs. It can also help in identifying prime numbers and determining the prime factorization of a number.

3. How can we determine if a given integer is square-free?

One way to determine if an integer is square-free is to find its prime factorization and check if any of the prime factors are repeated. If there are no repeated factors, then the integer is square-free.

4. Can every integer be expressed as the product of a square-free integer?

No, not every integer can be expressed as the product of a square-free integer. For example, the number 8 can be expressed as 2 x 2 x 2, but it is not square-free since it has a repeated factor of 2. However, every integer greater than 1 can be expressed as the product of a square-free integer and a perfect square.

5. What is the significance of the statement "every integer n>1 is the product of a square-free integer"?

The statement is significant because it is a fundamental theorem in number theory. It helps in understanding the structure of integers and their prime factorization. It also has applications in various fields of mathematics, such as cryptography and algebraic number theory.