1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that p^(1/n) is not in Q

1. Jul 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if p is prime and r is a natural number, then [tex]p^{1/n} \not\in \mathbb{Q}[/tex].

Can someone check the validity of my proof? I have a strong feeling that it's invalid since the primality of p is never used.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Assume that [tex]p^{1/n}\in \mathbb{Q}[/tex]. Then for [tex]a,b\in \mathbb{Z}[/tex] such that a and b are coprime, [tex]p^{1/n}={a \over b}[/tex], and therefore [tex]p={a^n \over b^n}[/tex]. So [tex]a^n[/tex] must be a multiple of [tex]b^n[/tex] which implies that a is a multiple of b. But by definition, a is not a multiple of b. Contradiction. Q.E.D.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick a number that isn't prime. (36)^(1/2)=6/1. Sure, 36=6^2/1^2. 6 and 1 are coprime. Where does your invalid proof fall apart? Now get in there and use that p is prime.

4. Jul 7, 2008 #3
  5. Jul 7, 2008 #4
    Assuming that a and b are coprime, [tex]p={a^n \over b^n}[/tex]. This implies that [tex]a^n=p b^n[/tex]. Since a^n and b^n are also coprime, a^n can be represented as the product of primes and b^n can be represented as the product of a different set of primes. But since there are no prime factors common to both a and b, none will magically appear in the equation to cancel out and leave p.

I'm not sure whether this version is rigorous enough. (or even valid)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  6. Jul 7, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, that's pretty much it. You've shown p divides a^n. Can you show that means p divides a? If so, at least how many factors of p divide a^n? Can you show that means p divides b^n and hence b? Then you are done.

7. Jul 8, 2008 #6
    Ok, so I reformatted my proof more rigorously in the format of the article durt linked to. Here it is:

1) Assume that [tex]p^{1/n}[/tex] is rational. Then [tex]\exists a,b \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex] such that a is coprime to b and [tex]p^{1/n}={a \over b}[/tex].
    2) It follows that [tex]p = {a^n \over b^n}[/tex].
    3) By the unique factorization theorem, [tex]\exists x,y\in \mathbb{Z}^+_0[/tex] and odd integers r and s such that [tex]a = p^x r[/tex] and [tex]b = p^y s[/tex]
    4) Therefore, [tex]a^n = p^{nx}r^n[/tex] and [tex]b^n=p^{ny}s^n[/tex].
    5) Inserting back into 3), [tex]p^{nx}r^n=p p^{ny}s^n[/tex], so [tex]p^{nx}r^n=p^{ny+1}s^n[/tex].
    6) This states that an integer with an even power of p equals an integer with an odd power of p. But this contradicts the prime factorization theorem, completing the proof.
    Q.E.D.

edit: it's amazing what you can do with symbols!

8. Jul 8, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's amazing what you can obscure with symbols as well. Ouch. Now you've created an obscure monster. If p divides a then it can't divide b, right? So y is zero. Can you simplify that. Like, a lot? It's making my head hurt.

9. Jul 8, 2008 #8
    1) Assume that [tex]p^{1/n}[/tex] is rational. Then [tex]\exists a,b \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex] such that a is coprime to b and [tex]p^{1/n}={a \over b}[/tex].
    2) It follows that [tex]p = {a^n \over b^n}[/tex].
    3) By the unique factorization theorem, [tex]\exists x\in \mathbb{Z}^+_0[/tex] and odd integers r, s not multiples of p such that [tex]a = p^x r[/tex] and [tex]b = s[/tex]
    4) Therefore, [tex]a^n = p^{nx}r^n[/tex] and [tex]b^n=s^n[/tex].
    5) Inserting back into 3), [tex]p^{nx}r^n=ps^n[/tex], so [tex]p^{nx}r^n=ps^n[/tex].
    6) This states that an integer has two different prime factorizations. This contradicts the prime factorization theorem, completing the proof.
    Q.E.D.

How about that? I think the proof on the wikipedia article made the same complications as I did.

10. Jul 8, 2008 #9

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm still with Dick on the unnecessary nature of a lot of that.

We have pa^n=b^n, so p divides b^n, hence b. We may factor that out and deduce

a^n=p^{n-1}b' for some b', thus p divides a, contradicting the assumption that a and b were coprime.

Alternately, one can simple say that in pa^n=b^n, the sum of the indices of the primes in a decomposition of the LHS is one more than a multiple of n, and on the right is a multiple of n, which contradicts the uniqueness of prime decomposition.

11. Jul 8, 2008 #10
    Ok. That makes sense. Thanks.

Here's the (hopefully final) rewrite:
    2) It follows that [tex]p = {a^n \over b^n}[/tex], and that [tex]a^n=pb^n[/tex].
    3) So, by the properties of exponents along with the unique factorization theorem, p divides both a^n and a.
    3) Factoring out p from (2), we have [tex]a^n=p^{n-1}b'[/tex] for some [tex]b'\in \mathbb{Z}[/tex] not divisible by p.
    4) Therefore p divides a.
    5) But this contradicts the assumption that a and b are coprime.
    6) Therefore [tex]p^{1/n}\not\in \mathbb{Q}[/tex].
    Q.E.D.

12. Jul 8, 2008 #11

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You cannot conclude that b' is not divisible by p.

13. Jul 8, 2008 #12
    oh, right. Now that I think about, that makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?