Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that the eigenfunctions of a self-adjoint operator form a complete set.

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    I know this is a common and important fact, so I've been willing to accept it, but this has always been something that has been "outside the scope" of my quantum lectures. Does anyone have reference for a proof?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2
    IMO, this is a postulate. The physical observables (which are often originated from symmetries) are described by the self-adjoint (or Hermitian) operators in the Hilbert space, and the eigenfunctions of the self-adjoint operators span the Hilbert space.

As in the popular text by Sakurai, the completeness of the set of eigenstates of a Hermitian operator is a postulate.

Cheers

4. Sep 10, 2008 #3
    The excellent book Mathematical Physics by Hassani has a proof of the spectral decomposition theorem for finite-dimensional vector spaces. As a corollary, a normal operator (one that commutes with its adjoint - more general than simply Hermitian) has eigenvectors that span the space.

To be honest, I don't know what additional assumptions/definitions you need for this to hold for infinite-dimensional spaces (if it even can at all). I think general self-adjoint operators on a Hilbert space don't even need to have eigenvalues. I'm not a mathematician though, so this is farther than I can go...

5. Sep 10, 2008 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want to go a bit beyond Hassani (which I like) in terms of mathematical rigour, then look at the book Mathematics for Physics and Physicists by Appel. Chapter 14, Bras, kets, and all that sort of thing, uses a distributional rigged Hilbert space approach to treat the infinite-dimensional case.

6. Sep 10, 2008 #5
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?