Proof that the eigenfunctions of a self-adjoint operator form a complete set.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of completeness of eigenstates of a Hermitian operator, which is a postulate in quantum mechanics. The book Mathematical Physics by Hassani provides a proof for the spectral decomposition theorem in finite-dimensional vector spaces, while the book Mathematics for Physics and Physicists by Appel delves into the infinite-dimensional case using a distributional rigged Hilbert space approach.
will.c
I know this is a common and important fact, so I've been willing to accept it, but this has always been something that has been "outside the scope" of my quantum lectures. Does anyone have reference for a proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
will.c said:
I know this is a common and important fact, so I've been willing to accept it, but this has always been something that has been "outside the scope" of my quantum lectures. Does anyone have reference for a proof?

IMO, this is a postulate. The physical observables (which are often originated from symmetries) are described by the self-adjoint (or Hermitian) operators in the Hilbert space, and the eigenfunctions of the self-adjoint operators span the Hilbert space.

As in the popular text by Sakurai, the completeness of the set of eigenstates of a Hermitian operator is a postulate.

Cheers

The excellent book Mathematical Physics by Hassani has a proof of the spectral decomposition theorem for finite-dimensional vector spaces. As a corollary, a normal operator (one that commutes with its adjoint - more general than simply Hermitian) has eigenvectors that span the space.

To be honest, I don't know what additional assumptions/definitions you need for this to hold for infinite-dimensional spaces (if it even can at all). I think general self-adjoint operators on a Hilbert space don't even need to have eigenvalues. I'm not a mathematician though, so this is farther than I can go...

If you want to go a bit beyond Hassani (which I like) in terms of mathematical rigour, then look at the book Mathematics for Physics and Physicists by Appel. Chapter 14, Bras, kets, and all that sort of thing, uses a distributional rigged Hilbert space approach to treat the infinite-dimensional case.

Thanks!

1. What is a self-adjoint operator?

A self-adjoint operator is a linear operator that is equal to its own adjoint. In other words, the operator and its adjoint produce the same result when applied to a given function.

2. What are eigenfunctions?

Eigenfunctions are special functions that, when operated on by a linear operator, produce a scalar multiple of themselves. In other words, the operator does not change the form of the function, but only scales it by a constant factor.

3. Why is it important that the eigenfunctions of a self-adjoint operator form a complete set?

This property is important because it allows us to express any function in terms of a linear combination of the eigenfunctions, making it easier to analyze and solve problems involving the operator.

4. What does it mean for a set of functions to be complete?

A set of functions is complete if it can represent any function in the given domain. In other words, no function in the domain is left out and every function can be expressed as a combination of the functions in the set.

5. How is the completeness of eigenfunctions related to the spectral theorem?

The spectral theorem states that for a self-adjoint operator, there exists a complete set of eigenfunctions that can be used as a basis for the function space. Therefore, the completeness of the eigenfunctions is a necessary condition for the spectral theorem to hold.