Common sets of eigenfunctions in angular momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of angular momentum in quantum mechanics and the relationship between its components. It is noted that the square of the magnitude of angular momentum (L^2) commutes with all components, while components do not commute with each other. This means that they cannot simultaneously be measured to arbitrary precision. The concept of a common set of eigenfunctions is also discussed, and it is clarified that only one component of angular momentum can be known at a time. The concept of degeneracy is also mentioned, with the understanding that for all states with non-zero angular momentum, L2 has 2l+1 degenerate eigenstates.
Turtle492
Hi,

I'm a second year physics undergrad currently revising quantum mechanics, and I came across a phrase about angular momentum which has confused me, so I was wondering if anyone could help.

We looked at different components of angular momentum (in Cartesian) and decided that they did not commute with one another, but that the square of the magnitude (L^2) commutes with all of them, meaning 'that L^2 and one of the L components have a common set of eigenfunctions'. What I don't understand is how L^2 can have eigenfunctions in common with, Lx, Ly and Lz, but then Lz doesn't have any in common with say Ly.

I think maybe the problem is that I don't really understand what's meant by a 'common set of eigenfunctions'. What makes up a set? So far we've mainly looked at spin where the eigenfunctions form a complete, orthogonal set. Does the same happen with angular momentum?

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Turtle492 said:
Hi,

I'm a second year physics undergrad currently revising quantum mechanics, and I came across a phrase about angular momentum which has confused me, so I was wondering if anyone could help.

We looked at different components of angular momentum (in Cartesian) and decided that they did not commute with one another, but that the square of the magnitude (L^2) commutes with all of them, meaning 'that L^2 and one of the L components have a common set of eigenfunctions'. What I don't understand is how L^2 can have eigenfunctions in common with, Lx, Ly and Lz, but then Lz doesn't have any in common with say Ly.

I think maybe the problem is that I don't really understand what's meant by a 'common set of eigenfunctions'. What makes up a set? So far we've mainly looked at spin where the eigenfunctions form a complete, orthogonal set. Does the same happen with angular momentum?

Thanks for your help

First of all, when observables commute, it means that they can simultaneously be measured to arbitrary precision. Another was to say this is that the eigenstates are simultaneous eigenstates of both operators. When operators don't commute, then the HUP says that you cannot simultaneously know both of them to arbitrary precision. Furthermore, say you have measured a state and know it to be in an eigenstate of some operator A. If you then make a second measurement of another property corresponding to an operator B that does NOT commute with A, the system will no longer be in an eigenstate of A after the second measurement, and you will have lost knowledge about the property corresponding to A.

An important point missing from your analysis is that, for a quantum system, only one of Lx, Ly and Lz can be known at a time (because they don't commute with one another). Another way of saying this is that you can only ever know the projection of L on one cartesian axis (the axis of quantization) at a time. Whichever one of these is known (we usually take Lz by default), commutes with L2. However, if you suddenly change your axis of quantization to the x-axis, then you will know Lx and it will commute with L2, but you will have lost all knowledge of Lz. A good way to learn more about this is to study the triple Stern Gerlach experiment. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stern–Gerlach_experiment. ) There are also Java applets out there to help you understand it. http://www.if.ufrgs.br/~betz/quantum/SGtext.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you measure Lx and L2, say, then it will be in an eigenstate that is common to both of them? What if I measure Lz and L2 and I get the same value for L2 as I did when I was using Lx, would it not then be in the same eigenstate for L2 as it was before, and is now sharing that one with Lz? Does that not mean that Lz and Lx should also have that eigenstate in common?

Or is there some kind of degeneracy whereby L2 has 3 eigenstates that give the same eigenvalue, so that it can share one with each of the other components of L? I'm a little confused.

Turtle492 said:
So if you measure Lx and L2, say, then it will be in an eigenstate that is common to both of them? What if I measure Lz and L2 and I get the same value for L2 as I did when I was using Lx, would it not then be in the same eigenstate for L2 as it was before, and is now sharing that one with Lz? Does that not mean that Lz and Lx should also have that eigenstate in common?

No ...

Or is there some kind of degeneracy whereby L2 has 3 eigenstates that give the same eigenvalue, so that it can share one with each of the other components of L? I'm a little confused.

Yes .. that is more like it, although not precisely correct. For all states with non-zero angular momentum, L2 has 2l+1 degenerate eigenstates (where l is the angular momentum quantum number), each of which have different eigenvalues of Lz (the default choice for the axis of quantization). If you change the axis of quantization to say, x, you transform to a different set of 2l+1 eigenstates. These all still correspond to the same eigenvalue of L2, but now they are eigenstates of Lx, instead of Lz.

OK, I think I understand. Thanks a lot, that's really helpful.

1. What are common sets of eigenfunctions in angular momentum?

Common sets of eigenfunctions in angular momentum refer to a group of mathematical functions that are used to describe the behavior and properties of quantum particles with angular momentum. These functions include the spherical harmonics, which describe the spatial distribution of angular momentum, and the eigenfunctions of the angular momentum operators, which describe the quantized values of angular momentum.

2. How are these eigenfunctions used in quantum mechanics?

Eigenfunctions in angular momentum are essential in quantum mechanics as they help to describe the energy levels and wavefunctions of quantum particles with angular momentum. They are also used to calculate probabilities of different outcomes in measurements of angular momentum.

3. What is the significance of eigenfunctions in angular momentum?

Eigenfunctions in angular momentum are significant because they provide a complete set of functions that can be used to describe the behavior of quantum particles with angular momentum. They also play a crucial role in the study of atomic and molecular structure, as well as in the understanding of magnetic properties and spectroscopic techniques.

4. How are these eigenfunctions related to the quantum numbers of angular momentum?

The eigenfunctions in angular momentum are associated with specific quantum numbers, such as the azimuthal quantum number and the magnetic quantum number. These numbers determine the allowed values of angular momentum and its components, and the eigenfunctions describe the corresponding wavefunctions.

5. Can these eigenfunctions be used for other types of angular momentum?

Yes, the eigenfunctions in angular momentum can be used for different types of angular momentum, such as orbital angular momentum, spin angular momentum, and total angular momentum. Each type has its own set of eigenfunctions, but they all follow the same mathematical principles and are essential in the study of quantum mechanics and atomic physics.