Proof: Time independence of the entropy under unitary time evolution

In summary, the unitary time evolution of the density operator is given by the equation $\rho(t)=\textrm{exp}(-\frac{i}{\hbar}Ht)\,\rho_0 \,\textrm{exp}(\frac{i}{\hbar}Ht)$, and the general definition of entropy is $S=-k_B\,Tr\,\{\rho(t) ln \rho(t)\}$. The proof of $\frac{dS}{dt}=0$ involves using the chain rule in matrix derivatives and finding the time derivative of $\ln\rho(t
barcodeIIIII

Homework Statement

The unitary time evolution of the density operator is given by
$$\rho(t)=\textrm{exp}(-\frac{i}{\hbar}Ht)\,\rho_0 \,\textrm{exp}(\frac{i}{\hbar}Ht)$$
General definition of entropy is
$$S=-k_B\,Tr\,\{\rho(t) ln \rho(t)\}$$
Proof: $$\frac{dS}{dt}=0$$

Homework Equations

I am not very clear how does the chain rule works in matrix derivative, also how do I differentiate 'ln' of a matrix?
$$\frac{d}{dt} ln\,\rho(t)=?$$
Any insights would be great, Thank you

The Attempt at a Solution

$$ \frac{dS}{dt}=-k_B \,Tr \, \{\frac{d}{dt}[\rho(t)\,ln\,\rho(t)]\} $$
$$\frac{dS}{dt}=-k_B\,Tr\, \{ \frac{ d}{dt} \rho(t) ln\,\rho(t)+ \frac{d}{dt} [ln\, \rho(t) ] \rho(t) \}$$
where $$\frac{d}{dt} \rho (t)=-\frac{i}{\hbar} [H, \rho(t)]$$

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the logarithm of a matrix defined, or how can you express it in other ways? You should be able to find the time-derivative of this.

The trace is linear in the matrix components, exchanging it with derivatives is not an issue.

Likes dextercioby
I got this proof in my last quantum statistical mechanics exam, I remember it pretty well.
So there are two ways, one using $$\frac{\mathrm{d}\rho}{\mathrm{d}t}=\frac{1}{i\hbar}\left[\mathcal{H},\rho\right]$$
Where $\mathcal{H}$ is your Hamiltonian. (My professor suggests this as it should be easier but imho it's really not).
The other one is an elegant proof using diagonalizations and diagonal operators' invariance under unitary transformations.
So, since
$$\rho=\rho^{\dagger}\longrightarrow\exists!U\in U(n)\text{ s.t. }\tilde{\rho}=U^{\dagger}\rho U$$
And your new ρ is diagonalized. Now we can define Entropy in terms of this diagonalized density operator
\begin{align*}
&S=-Tr\left(k_B\rho\log(\rho)\right)\\
&S=-Tr\left(k_B\rho U\log(\tilde{\rho})U^{\dagger}\right)
\end{align*}
Now we can use the main property of unitary transformations, that is
$$U^{\dagger}U=UU^{\dagger}=Id$$
And we can then stick it inside our previous equation
$$S=-Tr\left(k_BUU^{\dagger}\rho UU^{\dagger}U\log(\tilde{\rho})UU^{\dagger}U^{\dagger}\right)$$
Simplifying everything and substituting the definition of our diagonalized density matrix we get
\begin{align*}
&S=Tr\left(k_BU\tilde{\rho}\log(\tilde{\rho})U^{\dagger}\right)\\
&S(\rho)=-UTr\left(-k_B\tilde{\rho}\log(\tilde{\rho})\right)U^{\dagger}=US(\tilde{\rho})U^{\dagger}
\end{align*}
Since by definition time evolutions are unitary operators and diagonalized operators are invariant under unitary transformations we get
$$U(t)^{\dagger}S(\rho)U(t)=S(U(t)^{\dagger}\rho U(t))=US(U(t)^{\dagger}\tilde{\rho}U(t))U^{\dagger}=US(\tilde{\rho})U^{\dagger}=S(\rho)_{\square}$$

Likes mfb
I am having trouble trying to understand the quantity ##S(\rho)##, is it a scalar or matrix and how does it differ from ##S##? Moreover since the thing in the middle of
Birrabenzina said:
\begin{align*}
-UTr\left(-k_B\tilde{\rho}\log(\tilde{\rho})\right)U^{\dagger}
\end{align*}
is just a number, shouldn't it be possible to write it as
\begin{align*}
-UTr\left(-k_B\tilde{\rho}\log(\tilde{\rho})\right)U^{\dagger} = -UU^\dagger Tr\left(-k_B\tilde{\rho}\log(\tilde{\rho})\right) = Tr\left(k_B\tilde{\rho}\log(\tilde{\rho})\right)
\end{align*}

S isn't just a scalar, that's a function of the density operator, hence you want to diagonalize that operator through a transformation, in order to say that S is invariant through time transformations

What is "Proof: Time independence of the entropy under unitary time evolution"?

"Proof: Time independence of the entropy under unitary time evolution" is a scientific concept that states that the entropy of a closed quantum system remains constant over time when subjected to unitary time evolution. This means that the system's disorder, or randomness, does not change even as it evolves over time.

Why is this concept important in science?

This concept is important in science because it helps us understand the behavior of closed quantum systems and their evolution over time. It also has implications in areas such as thermodynamics and information theory.

What does "time independence" mean in this context?

"Time independence" refers to the fact that the entropy of a closed quantum system does not change over time, even as the system evolves under unitary time evolution. This means that the system's disorder remains constant and is not affected by the passage of time.

How is this concept proven?

The concept of time independence of entropy under unitary time evolution is proven through mathematical proofs and experiments. These provide evidence that the entropy of a closed quantum system does not change over time when subjected to unitary time evolution.

What are the implications of this concept in real-world applications?

The concept of time independence of entropy has implications in various fields, such as quantum computing, information storage, and thermodynamics. It can also help us better understand the behavior of complex systems and how they evolve over time.