Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof using the closed graph theorem

1. Jan 5, 2015 #1

A_B

Hi,

I'm stuck on a problem in functional analysis. Let x be a sequence on the Natural nummers such that for any square summable sequence y, the product sequence xy is absolutely summable. Then x is square summable.

Hint : Use the Closed graph theorem.

If I can prove the map Tx : y -> xy had a closed graph then It Follows from the Closed graph theorem that Tx is bounded and therefore that x is square summable, but I cant seem to show that the graph is Closed. Am I following the right path? Any hints?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2015 #2
    Yes, you are on the right path. You need to show that your operator ##T_x:\ell^2\to\ell^1##, ##T_x y = xy##, where the product means entrywise product is closed. This fact is very simple, almost a triviality: it follows from the fact that convergence in any ##\ell^p## implies the entry wise convergence.

Let me explain; to avoid mess with double indices, I'll use the "functional notation" for sequences, i.e. a sequence ##x## will be ##x=(x(1), x(2), \ldots)##. Since ##|y(k)| \le \|y\|_{\ell^p}## (for all ##k## and ##p##) we conclude that if ##\|y_n-y\|_{\ell^2} \to 0## then $$\lim_{n\to\infty} y_n(k) = y(k)$$ for all ##k##. Similarly, if additionally ##\|x y_n -z\|_{\ell^1}\to 0## then for all ##k## $$\lim_{n\to\infty} x (k)y_n(k) =z(k).$$ But on the other hand we already know that ##\lim_{n\to\infty} y_n(k) = y(k)##, so $$\lim_{n\to\infty} x (k)y_n(k) =x(k)y(k),$$ which means that ##z=xy##.

So the operator ##T_x## is closed.

4. Jan 10, 2015 #3

A_B

As is so often the case with mathematics,the solution to the problem seems so obvious once it is known. This concludes for me a few days of staring at a blank page.

Thank You, Hawkeye. You saved me a lot of time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook