Closed Graph Theorem: Proving T Has Closed Graph

In summary, the Closed Graph Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states the continuity of a linear operator T between two topological vector spaces is dependent on its graph being a closed subset of the product space. This theorem is important because it simplifies the process of proving continuity and has applications in various fields of mathematics. The theorem is proved by showing that T is continuous if and only if its graph is closed. However, it has limitations such as only applying to linear operators between topological vector spaces and assuming the spaces are Hausdorff.
Cairo
Suppose that 1<p<inf and a=(a_k) a complex sequence such that, for all x in l_p, the series (which runs from k=1 to inf) Sigma(a_k x_k) is convergent. Define T:l_p--->s by

Tx=y, where y_j=Sigma(a_k x_k) (where j runs from 1 to j).

I need to prove that

1) T has a closed graph (as a linear mapping from l_p to l_inf)

2) If a is the sequence defining T, then necessarily a in l_q, where (1/p)+(1/q)=1

Could somebody help me out with this please?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is $s$ here?

Here, s denotes the space of all possible sequences.

dray said:
Here, s denotes the space of all possible sequences.
Thanks.

In fact I don't understand the order of the question. Once we have proved that $a\in\ell^q$ (for example by the principle of uniform boundedness, or by contradiction, exhibiting $x\in\ell^p$ such that $\sum_{j=1}^{+\infty}|x_ja_j|=+\infty$), we can see that $T$ is continuous.

The question requires us to prove that T has a closed graph (i.e is continuous) first before we go on to show that a in l_q.

dray said:
Suppose that $1<p<\infty$ and $a=(a_k)$ a complex sequence such that, for all $x$ in $l_p$, the series (which runs from $k=1$ to $\infty$) $\sum (a_k x_k)$ is convergent. Define $T:l_p\to s$ by

$Tx=y$, where $y_j=\sum (a_k x_k)$ (where $k$ runs from 1 to $j$).

I need to prove that

1) $T$ has a closed graph (as a linear mapping from $l_p$ to $l_\infty$)

2) If $a$ is the sequence defining $T$, then necessarily $a \in l_q$, where $(1/p)+(1/q)=1$.

Could somebody help me out with this please?
For 1), you have to show that if $x^{(n)}\to x$ in $l_p$ and $Tx^{(n)}\to y$ in $l_\infty$, then $Tx=y.$ To see that this condition holds, all you need to know is that, in each of $l_p$ and $l_\infty$, convergence in norm implies coordinatewise convergence. The $j$th coordinate of $Tx^{(n)}$ is $$(Tx^{(n)})_j = \sum_{k=1}^j a_kx^{(n)}_k$$ (where $x^{(n)}_k$ denotes the $k$th coordinate of $x^{(n)}$).

Let $n\to\infty$ on both sides of that displayed equation to see that $y_j = (Tx)_j$. Since that holds for each $j$ it follows that $Tx=y$, as required.

For 2), fix $n$ and define $z^{(n)}\in l_p$ by $$z^{(n)}_k = \begin{cases}\theta_k a_k^{q-1}&\text{if }1\leqslant k\leqslant n, \\0&\text{if } k>n, \end{cases}$$ where $\theta_k$ is a complex number of absolute value 1 chosen so as to make $\theta_k a_k^q$ real and nonnegative. Then $$\|z^{(n)}\|_p = \Bigl(\sum_{k=1}^n |a_k|^{p(q-1)}\Bigr)^{1/p}.$$ The $n$th coordinate of $Tz^{(n)}$ satisfies $$Tz^{(n)}_n = \sum_{k=1}^n a_kz^{(n)}_k = \sum_{k=1}^n |a_k|^q.$$

But it follows from 1) and the closed graph theorem that $T$ is bounded, and therefore $\|Tz^{(n)}\|_\infty \leqslant \|T\|\,\|z^{(n)}\|_p.$ You should be able to deduce that $$\Bigl(\sum_{k=1}^n |a_k|^q\Bigr)^{1/q} \leqslant \|T\|.$$ Finally, let $n\to\infty$ to conclude that $a\in l_q$.

How do I prove that for each sequence space, convergence in norm implies coordinatewise convergence?

Because for each norm and each sequence $x=\{x_k\}$, we have $|x_k|\leq \lVert x\rVert$.

girdav said:
Because for each norm and each sequence $x=\{x_k\}$, we have $|x_k|\leq \lVert x\rVert$.

Thanks girdav, but I'm still looking for a proof that this is the case.

I don't understand, you want a proof of the last inequality? If it's the $\infty$ norm it's obvious, and for $p$-norms, just use the fact that the series which defines the norm is greater than only one term of this series.

Related to Closed Graph Theorem: Proving T Has Closed Graph

1. What is the Closed Graph Theorem?

The Closed Graph Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that a linear operator T between two topological vector spaces is continuous if and only if its graph, which is the set of all points (x, Tx) in the Cartesian product of the two spaces, is a closed subset of the product space.

2. Why is the Closed Graph Theorem important?

The Closed Graph Theorem is important because it allows us to prove the continuity of a linear operator without having to explicitly check every possible sequence of points. This saves time and effort, especially when dealing with infinite-dimensional spaces.

3. How is the Closed Graph Theorem proved?

The Closed Graph Theorem can be proved using the following steps:

• Assume that T is a linear operator between two topological vector spaces.
  • Show that if T is continuous, then its graph is a closed subset of the product space.
  • Show that if the graph of T is closed, then T is continuous.

The second step can be proved by using the definition of continuity and the properties of topological vector spaces. The third step can be proved using the Closed Graph Theorem for sequences.

4. What are some applications of the Closed Graph Theorem?

The Closed Graph Theorem has various applications in different fields of mathematics, including functional analysis, differential equations, and optimization. It is also used in the study of continuous functions, Banach spaces, and Hilbert spaces.

5. Are there any limitations to the Closed Graph Theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Closed Graph Theorem. It only applies to linear operators between topological vector spaces, and it does not hold for non-linear operators. Also, the theorem assumes that the two spaces are Hausdorff, which means that every two distinct points can be separated by disjoint open sets.