Proove that U is unitary (Cayley transform)

• Thread starter skrat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transform
In summary, the function f(t)=\frac{t-i}{t+i} maps real axis into complex circle for t\in \mathbb{R}. It is shown that for any hermitian operator H, the operator U:=(H-iI)(H+iI)^{-1} is unitary. To prove that f^{-1}(U) is hermitian for any unitary operator U, it is necessary to show that f^{-1}(U)=(f^{-1}(U))^{*}. The first part is easily proven, but the second part requires further manipulation and remains unsolved.
skrat
Function [itex]f(t)=\frac{t-i}{t+i}[/itex] for [itex]t\in \mathbb{R}[/itex] maps real ax into complex circle. Show that for any hermitian operator [itex]H[/itex] operator [itex]U:=(H-iI)(H+iI)^{-1}[/itex] is unitary (where [itex]H+iI[/itex] is reversible)

If I understand correctly [itex]U[/itex] is unitary when [itex]U=U^{T}[/itex] right?

So I tried to show that [itex]U[/itex] is unitary like this (hopefully it is ok):
[itex]U=(H-iI)(H+iI)^{-1}[/itex] because H hermitian than [itex]H^{*}=H[/itex]
[itex]U=(H^{*}-iI)(H^{*}+iI)^{-1}[/itex] but Identity does not change if I conjugate it and transpose it
[itex]U=(H^{*}-iI^{*})(H^{*}+iI^{*})^{-1}=((H-iI)^{-1}(H+iI))^{*}[/itex]
[itex]U=((H+iI)^{-1}(H-iI))^{T}[/itex] so [itex]U=U^{T}[/itex]
Right or wrong?

Than I have to calculate the inverse function [itex]f^{-1}=(\zeta ))i\frac{1+\zeta }{1-\zeta } [/itex] and show that [itex]f^{-1}(U)[/itex] is hermitian operator for any unitary operator [itex]U[/itex], where [itex]I-U[/itex] is reversible operator.

And here I have no idea how to start... :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok first part is clearly wrong.

For unitary operator this has to be true: [itex]UU^{*}=I or U=(U^{*})^{-1}[/itex]. After realizing that I had no problem proving that [itex]U[/itex] is unitary.

But I am still having problems with second part: If [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is hermitian, than [itex]f^{-1}(U)=(f^{-1}(U))^{*}[/itex]
[itex]f^{-1}(U)=i\frac{I+U}{I-U}=i(I+U)(I-U^{-1})[/itex] but [itex]U[/itex] is unitary, so [itex]UU^{*}=I[/itex]
[itex]f^{-1}(U)=i(I+(U^{*})^{-1})(I-U^{*})=i(I+U^{-1})^{*}(I-U)^{*}[/itex]

now I don't know how to get rid of [itex]U^{-1}[/itex] and that - that comes from [itex]i^{*}[/itex] in order to prove that [itex]f^{-1}(U)=(f^{-1}(U))^{*}[/itex]

1. What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix whose conjugate transpose is equal to its inverse. In other words, multiplying a unitary matrix by its conjugate transpose yields the identity matrix. This property is analogous to the concept of an orthogonal matrix, but applies to complex numbers instead of real numbers.

2. What is the Cayley transform?

The Cayley transform is a mathematical operation that maps a matrix onto a new matrix by using the identity matrix and the original matrix. Specifically, for a given matrix U, the Cayley transform is defined as (I-U)(I+U)^-1, where I is the identity matrix. This transform is often used in the study of unitary matrices.

3. How can the Cayley transform be used to prove that a matrix is unitary?

The Cayley transform can be used to show that a matrix U is unitary by demonstrating that the result of the transform is equal to the identity matrix. If the transformed matrix is equal to the identity matrix, then U is unitary, as the definition of a unitary matrix states that U times its conjugate transpose should yield the identity matrix.

4. What are the properties of a unitary matrix?

In addition to satisfying the definition of being a unitary matrix, which is having a conjugate transpose that is equal to its inverse, unitary matrices also have the following properties:

• The determinant of a unitary matrix is either 1 or -1.
  • The eigenvalues of a unitary matrix have an absolute value of 1.
  • The columns of a unitary matrix are orthonormal, meaning they are orthogonal to each other and have a magnitude of 1.

5. How is the concept of unitary matrices applied in science?

Unitary matrices have many applications in science, particularly in quantum mechanics and signal processing. In quantum mechanics, unitary matrices are used to represent time evolution and transformations of quantum systems. In signal processing, unitary matrices are used to perform operations such as discrete Fourier transforms and wavelet transforms, which are essential in analyzing and processing signals in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biology.