1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proove that U is unitary (Cayley transform)

1. May 5, 2013 #1
    Function [itex]f(t)=\frac{t-i}{t+i}[/itex] for [itex]t\in \mathbb{R}[/itex] maps real ax into complex circle. Show that for any hermitian operator [itex]H[/itex] operator [itex]U:=(H-iI)(H+iI)^{-1}[/itex] is unitary (where [itex]H+iI[/itex] is reversible)

If I understand correctly [itex]U[/itex] is unitary when [itex]U=U^{T}[/itex] right?

So I tried to show that [itex]U[/itex] is unitary like this (hopefully it is ok):
    [itex]U=(H-iI)(H+iI)^{-1}[/itex] because H hermitian than [itex]H^{*}=H[/itex]
    [itex]U=(H^{*}-iI)(H^{*}+iI)^{-1}[/itex] but Identity does not change if I conjugate it and transpose it
    [itex]U=(H^{*}-iI^{*})(H^{*}+iI^{*})^{-1}=((H-iI)^{-1}(H+iI))^{*}[/itex]
    [itex]U=((H+iI)^{-1}(H-iI))^{T}[/itex] so [itex]U=U^{T}[/itex]
    Right or wrong?

Than I have to calculate the inverse function [itex]f^{-1}=(\zeta ))i\frac{1+\zeta }{1-\zeta } [/itex] and show that [itex]f^{-1}(U)[/itex] is hermitian operator for any unitary operator [itex]U[/itex], where [itex]I-U[/itex] is reversible operator.

And here I have no idea how to start... :/

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2013 #2
    Ok first part is clearly wrong.

For unitary operator this has to be true: [itex]UU^{*}=I or U=(U^{*})^{-1}[/itex]. After realizing that I had no problem proving that [itex]U[/itex] is unitary.

But I am still having problems with second part: If [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is hermitian, than [itex]f^{-1}(U)=(f^{-1}(U))^{*}[/itex]
    [itex]f^{-1}(U)=i\frac{I+U}{I-U}=i(I+U)(I-U^{-1})[/itex] but [itex]U[/itex] is unitary, so [itex]UU^{*}=I[/itex]
    [itex]f^{-1}(U)=i(I+(U^{*})^{-1})(I-U^{*})=i(I+U^{-1})^{*}(I-U)^{*}[/itex]

now I don't know how to get rid of [itex]U^{-1}[/itex] and that - that comes from [itex]i^{*}[/itex] in order to prove that [itex]f^{-1}(U)=(f^{-1}(U))^{*}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted