1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Propability of finding a particle outside the classical limit

1. May 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm asked to calculate the propability of finding a particle outside the classical limit for a quantum harmonic oscillator in it's ground state

2. Relevant equations
    Ψ0(x) = a*emωx2/2hbar
    When a = (mω/πhbar)1/4
    The ground state energy E0 =hbar*ω2/2
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I actually don't know what to do, I've tried to consider it as tunelling by finding when the energy is equal to the potential
    E0 = hbar*ω2/2 = mω2x2, and stuck there !
    And thank for your assistance

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might start by finding the amplitude, ##A##, of oscillation for a classical oscillator with energy E0. The quantum oscillator is "outside the classical limit" when x is outside the range ##-A\leq x \leq A##.

I don't understand this equation. Why is ##\omega## squared in the middle expression. I also don't understand the meaning of the expression on the right.

I think you have a typo in the expression for the wavefunction. The argument of the exponential should be negative.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted