Propagating a Gaussian-Profile EM Wave in a Medium

In summary, the conversation discusses a final year project involving modeling the propagation of an electromagnetic wave through a medium of refractive index, n. The initial attempt at modeling a vacuum throughout did not result in the expected unchanged Gaussian wave profile and the issue is being attempted in the Python programming language. The equations used include a Gaussian wave profile, a forward Fourier transform, an exponential factor, and an inverse Fourier transform. The results do not match the expected unchanged wave profile and help is requested to identify the mistake.
andrew300591

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,

As part of my final year project I am modelling the propagation of an electromagnetic wave through a medium of refractive index, n. I begin at the boundary between vacuum and the medium, x = 0 and propagate forward to some distance x.

I have initially tried modelling a vacuum throughout i.e. n = 1. In this case I expected that the initial Gaussian wave should propagate forward unchanged, however I have not been able to achieve this result - could you please help me find out why?

I am attempting this issue in the Python programming language.

Homework Equations

(1) E(x=0,t) = e^(-0.5 * (t / τ)**2)
(2) E(ω,t) = F[E(x=0,t)]
(3) E(ω,t) * e^(ikz) = E(ω,t) * e^(iωnz/c)
(4) E(x,t) = F^-1[E(ω,t) * e^(iωnz/c)]
* F[] represents a forward Fourier transform, F^-1[] represents an inverse Fourier transform
** τ represents the width of the initial Gaussian profile, I have set τ = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

So far to do this I have tried:

(i) I begin with a wave profile, E(x=0,t) that is Gaussian in time (equation 1 below)
(ii) Perform a forward Fourier transform (equation 2) to calculate the angular spectrum of the initial Gaussian profile
(iii) Multiply the angular spectrum by an exponential factor (equation 3) to propagate forward in space
(iv) Inverse Fourier transform the product of the exponential and the forward Fourier transform to obtain the wave profile at distance x, E(x,t)

Physics news on Phys.org
(equation 4)However my results do not match the expected result of the wave profile being unchanged. I would be grateful if someone could help me identify where I'm going wrong.

1. What is a Gaussian-Profile EM Wave?

A Gaussian-Profile EM Wave is a type of electromagnetic wave that has a Gaussian-shaped amplitude profile. This means that the intensity of the wave is highest at the center and decreases gradually towards the edges.

2. How does a Gaussian-Profile EM Wave propagate in a medium?

A Gaussian-Profile EM Wave propagates in a medium by oscillating perpendicular to the direction of propagation. It also experiences refraction and reflection when it encounters different mediums with varying refractive indices.

3. What factors affect the propagation of a Gaussian-Profile EM Wave in a medium?

The propagation of a Gaussian-Profile EM Wave in a medium can be affected by the medium's refractive index, absorption coefficient, and scattering properties. The wavelength and frequency of the wave also play a role in its propagation.

4. How is the propagation of a Gaussian-Profile EM Wave in a medium described mathematically?

The propagation of a Gaussian-Profile EM Wave in a medium can be described using the wave equation, which takes into account the medium's properties and the wave's frequency and wavelength. This equation can be solved to determine the wave's amplitude, phase, and direction of propagation.

5. What are some real-world applications of propagating Gaussian-Profile EM Waves in a medium?

Gaussian-Profile EM Waves have many practical applications, including in telecommunications, radar systems, and medical imaging. They are also used in scientific research to study the properties of different materials and in industrial processes such as laser cutting and welding.