Propagating a Hyperbolic Trajectory

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with orbit propagation and the difficulty in numerically propagating parabolic and hyperbolic trajectories. The individual has discovered alternate equations for hyperbolic orbits but is still struggling with finding the correct equations for calculating eccentric and mean anomalies. They also mention confusion about the sign of the semimajor axis and ask for help in determining the position of an object in a hyperbolic trajectory as a function of time. Ultimately, they are able to find the equations they need and successfully track and propagate hyperbolic orbits.
TheHarvesteR
Hi, first post here at PF :)

I have a problem here regarding orbit propagation. Basically my situation is as follows:

I have coded a system that can track the orbital parameters from an object in a simulated orbit (Basic rigidbody physics). The system takes the state vectors of the orbiting rigidbody, and from those it computes the keplerian parameters. So far, so good.

Then, the system allows removing this tracked object from the physics simulation, to have it's orbit propagated using the parameters computed earlier (or any arbitrary parameters at this point). This also works well, for closed orbits.

My problem now is figuring out how to numerically propagate parabolic and hyperbolic trajectories. The current system fails with those, since several of the calculated parameters result in NaN when eccentricity > 1.

What happens is since I'm getting all this from state vectors, each parameter has a few dependencies on other parameters calculated earlier, and if a single one fails to produce a valid result, all others that depend on it will also fail.

More specifically, I'm getting a NaN for eccentric and mean anomalies on hyperbolic/parabolic trajectories... I don't know if this is correct or not. But these values are very much necessary in my current system to get a position as a function of time.

EDIT: Well, I've continued trying different things, and I now have what seems to be valid mean and eccentric anomaly values.
The problem is that for the resulting eccentric anomaly, my true anomaly is always NaN for hyperbolic orbits, and PI for parabolic orbits.

I've discovered that there is a different form of Kepler's equation for hyperbolic orbits, so I added a new solver for that (which hopefully is doing things right). But still no luck with that true anomaly.

What I ultimately need is to find out how to determine the position of an object in a hyperbolic trajectory as a function of time.

Oh and one more question: I'm somewhat confused as to whether my semimajor axis should be positive or negative on hyp orbits. Right now I'm doing tests with positive SMA values, but the orbit tracking code (which calculates parameters from state vectors) gives out a negative SMA. Which is more correct here, positive or negative?

Any help at this point would be immensely appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Ok, I found the alternate equations I was looking for I think.

The system is now able to propagate a hyperbolic trajectory, but currently it cannot correctly track some parameters of such an orbit.

When tracking, basically all operations are done in reverse... Instead of getting a true anomaly from the eccentric anomaly, which in turn is calculated from the mean anomaly, the tracker finds the true anomaly first, and from that it calculates the eccentric anomaly and then the mean anomaly.

The problem now is that I can't find a good equation for calculating the eccentric anomaly (and mean anomaly) for a hyperbolic orbit. If I use the same formulas as for a closed orbit, all I get is NaNs.

Anyone know how to get the eccentric and mean anomalies given the true anomaly for a hyperbolic orbit?

Again, thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Hopefully THIS helps
Or THIS

Thanks, those did help!

I found the equations I was looking for. Now my system is able to track and propagate hyperbolic orbits :)

Cheers!

Great. Good to hear it

1. What is a hyperbolic trajectory?

A hyperbolic trajectory is a path followed by an object in space that is affected by the gravitational pull of a single body, typically a planet or star. It is characterized by a curved shape that opens up and has an infinite distance from the object it is orbiting.

2. How is a hyperbolic trajectory different from an elliptical trajectory?

A hyperbolic trajectory has a much higher eccentricity compared to an elliptical trajectory. This means that the object's path is much more elongated and open-ended, as opposed to the closed loop of an elliptical trajectory.

3. What factors affect the propagation of a hyperbolic trajectory?

The main factors that affect the propagation of a hyperbolic trajectory are the initial velocity and position of the object, as well as the gravitational pull and mass of the object it is orbiting. Other factors such as atmospheric drag and other celestial bodies can also play a role.

4. Can a hyperbolic trajectory be changed?

Yes, a hyperbolic trajectory can be changed through various methods such as using a gravitational slingshot maneuver or adjusting the object's velocity through propulsion systems. However, significant changes to a hyperbolic trajectory can be difficult and require precise calculations.

5. What are some real-life examples of hyperbolic trajectories?

Some real-life examples of hyperbolic trajectories include spacecrafts that have been sent on interplanetary missions, such as NASA's Voyager 1 and 2, which have entered a hyperbolic trajectory after completing their primary missions. Comets and some asteroids also follow hyperbolic trajectories as they pass by the Sun.