1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Propagator/transition amplitude through intermediate integrations

1. Jun 14, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

suppose i want to calculate the propagator/transition amplitude which i can write as follows:

[tex](a,T|-a,-T)=\int_{-\infty}^\infty dx_1\int_{-\infty}^\infty dx_2(a,T|x_1,T_1)(x_1,T_1|x_2,T_2)(x_2,T_2|-a,-T)[/tex].

the situation is this:
    i already have an approximation of [tex](a,T_{i-1}|-a,T_i)[/tex] which is qualitively different from [tex](a,T|-a,-T)[/tex], so that i can't simply calculate the latter by changing the time variable in the first expression. but i think it should be possible to use this information somehow to obatin the complete propagator. the problem is that i don't know how to deal with the intermediate integrations.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

(i'm using the path integral formalism for the calculation)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2008 #2
  4. Jun 14, 2008 #3
    hi, thanks again for your response!

sorry for my ignorance, but i couldn't find anything that would help in the link you provided. could you tell me where to look, or elaborate further?

5. Jun 14, 2008 #4
    Well, it isn't really clear what you're doing, but I hazard a guess that it has to do with path integrals :)

Specifically, the derivation of [itex]G(q_{j+1}, t_{j+1}; q_j, t_j)[/itex] that casts it in the form:
    [tex]G(q_{j+1}, t_{j+1}; q_j, t_j) \approx \int\!\frac{dp_j}{2\pi}e^{\frac{i}{\hbar} \left[ p_j (q_{j+1}-q_j) - H(p_j, \bar{q}_j)\delta t \right]}[/tex].

6. Jun 14, 2008 #5
    hmm, that looks like some discretized version of the path integral.

what i'm trying to do is to write the expression in my first post into something like

[tex](a,T|-a,-T)=C\prod_{n=1}^N(a,T_{n-1}|-a,T_n)[/tex]

because i already know much about [tex](a,T_{n-1}|-a,T_n)[/tex].

7. Jun 14, 2008 #6
    What approximation do you already have?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?