Propeller Driven Aircraft with Thrust to Weight Ratio Greater than One

In summary, the conversation is about a user's request for information on propeller aircraft with a T/W ratio greater than one. Another user suggests using a search engine to find relevant sources and shares an example of a stunt biplane with a T/W ratio greater than one. The original user expresses gratitude for the helpful response.
sjmay
Hello all, this is my first post. I was wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of a source with details on propeller aircraft able to produce a T / W Ratio greater than one.

Thank You!

Engineering news on Phys.org
sjmay said:
Hello all, this is my first post. I was wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of a source with details on propeller aircraft able to produce a T / W Ratio greater than one.

Thank You!

Welcome to the PF.

I googled the title of your thread, and got lots of good hits. This is an example of a stunt biplane with T/W > 1:

http://www.turbinetoucan.com/aircraft/

:smile:

Thank you berkeman, I checked out the aircraft you posted. It definitely has helped point me in the right direction.

I'm not quite sure though how to "officially" give thanks on this forum.

1. What is a propeller driven aircraft with a thrust to weight ratio greater than one?

A propeller driven aircraft with a thrust to weight ratio greater than one is an aircraft that is able to generate more thrust from its propeller(s) than its own weight. This allows the aircraft to achieve vertical takeoff and climb, as well as other advanced maneuvers.

2. How is the thrust to weight ratio calculated?

The thrust to weight ratio is calculated by dividing the maximum thrust of the aircraft's propeller(s) by its weight. This ratio is typically expressed as a decimal or percentage.

3. What are the advantages of a propeller driven aircraft with a thrust to weight ratio greater than one?

Some advantages of this type of aircraft include improved maneuverability, the ability to perform vertical takeoff and landing, and longer flight times due to increased efficiency.

4. What are some examples of propeller driven aircraft with a thrust to weight ratio greater than one?

Some examples include the Harrier Jump Jet, F-35B Lightning II, and V-22 Osprey. These aircraft are commonly used by military forces for their unique capabilities.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a propeller driven aircraft with a thrust to weight ratio greater than one?

One potential limitation is that these aircraft require a significant amount of power to maintain their vertical thrust, which can result in higher fuel consumption. Additionally, the vertical takeoff and landing capabilities may not be necessary for all flight missions, making this type of aircraft less practical for certain situations.